Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z06 cam question

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2003, 09:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Z06 cam question

first off, i want a Z06 cam in my ss. is there a difference in the 01-03 cams? next, while i was in there installing the cam, i was just going to do the whole SLP 1.85 rocker arm package, (rockers, springs, keepers and retainers) would this work alright? i have heard some people say i will also need to change the pushrods, and some say i wont, what are your opinions? Also, will this set the SES lights off? if so how would i go about changing them? and one final question, can i use N02 with this set up, or would i run into some trouble (i really want the cam, the N02 is just for fun)

the reason i want this cam, is i want the good power increase, but i also want to keep it un-noticible,

Thanks for the help

jimmy
Old 05-01-2003, 12:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: Z06 cam question

im sorry what do you mean 918s? and im assuming that the 224 is a different cam, correct?

thanks again
jimmy
Old 05-01-2003, 01:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

The TR224 is a cam 224/224 .561 lift. Comp 918's are valve springs. They can be had from Thunder Racing -------->

For the price of buying a LS6 cam Springs and SLP rockers you could spend the same money and buy Thunders cam package whcih comes with everything you need for a cam swap. Youll get alot more power from this too.

Now if you just wanted to go the LS6 cam and springs, if you are doing the install that could cosst you less than $300
I dont think that the TR224 will make all that much more power over the Z-06 with stock heads. A little yes but "alot" no. If you are just looking to stay with stock heads and make around 370 RWHP with all the bolt-ons (M6) I am starting to think this cam is the way to go.

If you want to use the SLP rockers use the '01 Z06 cam, it has a little less duration and less lift. IMHO the rockers are a waste. As far as the '02 & '03 Z-06 cam go there are alot of questions floating around about what the correct pushrod length is because the base circle of the cam is different from the standard LS-1, and so are the vlaves. I am going to post a thread shortly asking these questions, hopefully someting will turn up.

-Nick
Old 05-01-2003, 02:10 PM
Launching!

I called SLP when I was buying the parts for this swap. They said the 1.85 ratio rr are not compatiable with the '02 cam. Im guessing because your lift is almost .600" (.598"), and you'll need some monster springs that can handle over .600" lift. I went with 1.8 (about .583" lift)ratio rr's and SLP .600" springs and titanium retainers. I haven't installed it all yet, so I can't tell you how good it works.

But like everyone said, you don't really need the rr's.
Old 05-01-2003, 02:16 PM
TECH Veteran

If you want to use the SLP rockers use the '01 Z06 cam, it has a little less duration and less lift. IMHO the rockers are a waste. As far as the '02 & '03 Z-06 cam go there are alot of questions floating around about what the correct pushrod length is because the base circle of the cam is different from the standard LS-1, and so are the vlaves. I am going to post a thread shortly asking these questions, hopefully someting will turn up.

Plenty of guys are using the stock pushrods. That should answer anyones questions.