Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

strange sound from engine

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 11:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default strange sound from engine

Hey all you motorheads out there, gotta a problem with my 97 TA that I can't seem to figure out.

The problem started about a month ago, I originally thought that it was and exhaust leak do to the sound, and because I knew that the drivers side y-pipe connection had a bad gasket. However as I was driving it, the sound got progressivlly worse, to the point that I had it towed for fear of damaging it more.

The exhaust gasket was replaced, but the sound is still there. It sounds almost as if some thing was hitting the oil pan (kind of a hollow thumping sound). It's not a clicking like the lifters make. The sound does increase when the RPMs increase, and sometimes the sound goes away briefly as the throttle is increased/decreased.

I have taken off the valve covers just to be sure that it was not a lifter problem. The sound appears to be centrally located (not on the drivers or passengers side only).

Any help you could send my way would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to have to take it in, if I can do it myself.

Thanks ya'll
Old 06-03-2007, 11:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like you have bearing problems. Pull the oil pan and start checking the rod and main bearings
Old 06-03-2007, 11:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I assume this is an LT1
Old 06-04-2007, 12:06 AM
On The Tree

Mine is doing sort of the same thing. It sounds like really loud clutch chatter, right below the dash too. It does it at idle at times and during driving every once in a while. I just had my tranny rebuilt and the shop told me that my tranny mount was bad, so im guessing its that cause I hadn't heard it before the rebuild. Maybe thats your problem too. keep us updated!
Old 06-04-2007, 12:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

dont worry its just piston slap....
Old 06-04-2007, 10:29 AM
Teching In

If it is piston slap, what would cause that? How do you correct it?

A bearing going out would cause that sort of sound? The sound becomes more frequent as the rpms increase.

If it is in fact worn bearings, what am I looking for when I pull the pan? Metal shavings? crankshaft play?