Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DONE!!! (now with vid)

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 04:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default DONE!!! (now with vid)

Just finished my install of the Pat G custom cam, Patriot Extreme Duals, Melling Pump, and Ls2 Chain. Took a few days due to waiting on some parts and tools. First startup, I dont think I've ever been so on edge in all my life. When I started the car and the oil pressure shot up, it was like a huge weight was lifted from my shoulders...

...soon to be placed back on by the sound of my friend yelling, "KILL IT!! KILL IT!!!" Turns out a couple oil pan bolts were loose I killed the car, turns out that when you tighten one, three more loosen up. Gave every bolt a few more passes in the dark, filled up to replace the lost oil (A LOT), and take two. This time around, the cam had learned to idle almost PERFECT. Cam has a nice noticeable chop to it, nothing like an MS3/4/Trex, but noticeable, which is exactly what I wanted. No new valvetrain noise, which was surprising. The motor smoked FOREVER, mostly because I dropped a lot of oil on the headers... whoops.

I can't describe the feeling of the first start up when the motor doesn't make PTV contact, the oil pressure shoots up, and nothing blows up. The oil pan was not nearly as big a problem as what COULD HAVE gone wrong, so I'm happy about that.

I would like to thank the following:

KurtRardin for some helpful hints for the install, 99blancoSS for lending me the great Crane Cams tool, Beast96Z for hints on the cam gear install (yea it was rough for me ), jmX for his ridiculous writeup (nearly a full motor teardown using an online book, great), Predator-Z for answering every question I had, no matter how OCD it was, Thunder Racing for the cam grinding, WS6store for the Patrios, Speed Eng for the rods, LS1Speed, Gunnar@Patriot for great customer service, Patrick G for speccing the cam that I am sure will produce great results, countless others for threads made that I refered to along the way, and my friend for helping with the install along the way with the springs and actual cam install. Video is below...

-J

http://video.ls1tech.com/video/55489...49011c3d08.htm
Old 06-10-2007, 04:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that sounds freakin awesome. good job
Old 06-10-2007, 04:50 PM
10 Second Club

Congrats man sounds good, I can't wait to do mine. What are the specs on the cam?
Old 06-10-2007, 04:51 PM
12 Second Club

awesome!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-10-2007, 05:03 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lastcall190
I can't describe the feeling of the first start up when the motor doesn't make PTV contact, the oil pressure shoots up, and nothing blows up. The oil pan was not nearly as big a problem as what COULD HAVE gone wrong, so I'm happy about that.
I can if you want to know.

Congrats on doing it yourself. Formulas are
Old 06-10-2007, 05:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Great work. Nothing like having her fire up on the first try!
Old 06-10-2007, 05:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
I can if you want to know.

Congrats on doing it yourself. Formulas are
I had a few in mind... Thanks and I agree, formys are

Thanks guys, specs on the cam are 224/226 .610/.585 111+2, Pat G recommended spec (I hope he doesn't mind me posting the specs, if he does hopefully he'll see this and lemme know ) So far driving around for a few miles, this thing drives almost EXACTLY how it did before the cam went in, which I'm very happy about. I only assume it will get better after a nice tuning session.

Next up is poly mounts and eventually a new clutch

-J