Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please Help Me: Oil Pickup Tube and SDPC Chain

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2003, 05:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Please Help Me: Oil Pickup Tube and SDPC Chain

I really need someones help here. I'm attempting to put my oil pump back on my car right now. I have the Rollmaster Double Chain already installed. As I feared, Im having problems getting the damn oil pickup tube inserted into the oil pump. I can get the oil pump onto the crank snout, but the pickup tube will not go into the hole all the way. Since I have the spacers installed for the oil pump, it is pushing the pump out farther than where it was stock, which is why the oil pickup tube wont line up. Since it won't line up, I obviously cannot get the pick up tube bolt threaded back in.

I really don't know what to do. I asked if I would have a problem with this a couple days ago, and someone said it will just go right back in. Well, it wont. I've been messing with it for over 3 hours, and I've made absolutely no progress. Someone tell me there is an easier way.

And by the way, the engine is still in the car, and the oil pan is dropped as far as it will go without lifting the engine.
Old 05-04-2003, 06:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Please Help Me: Oil Pickup Tube and SDPC Chain

What I do is put the pump on the snout with no bolts or spacers. Next, bolt the pick-up tube to the pump. It should be pretty easy because the pump can move alittle. Once the tube is on tight, then I put the spacers and bolts on.
Old 05-04-2003, 07:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

I just did an oil pump and SDPC Rollermaster double chain... no probs... as mentioned you put the tube in and tighten before putting the spacers in... then pull the oil pump out ward a little, slide the spacers in and put the bolts through
Old 05-04-2003, 09:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks guys. I guess Im just panicking, because maybe my fingers are too fat or something, but I cant even get the pickup tube bolt into the hole where it needs to be threaded in. I tried it both ways with the spacers in and out. I have them out now and still can't get em. Oh well, I'll keep trying, eventually it has to go in! Thanks for all the advice.
Old 05-04-2003, 10:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

just keep at it, sit back take a break and toss back a few brews
Go back to it tomorrow and you'll prolly get it first time.
Old 05-05-2003, 03:37 PM
TECH Veteran

I just bought this double SDPC chain but since then, I have heard nothing but bad stuff about installation. This includes oil pump pickup tubes that don;t align, oil pump spacers that are too long, and pully/balancers that need to be cut down...

Consequently, I may go with a new stocker instead...
Old 05-05-2003, 03:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just bought this double SDPC chain but since then, I have heard nothing but bad stuff about installation. This includes oil pump pickup tubes that don;t align, oil pump spacers that are too long, and pully/balancers that need to be cut down...

Consequently, I may go with a new stocker instead...
Believe me, I feel your pain. Sometimes it seems like this product is unversally bad, yet theres so many people running it without problems. I haven't had any problems getting the chain on, or the spacers to fit, my problem is with the pickup tube bolt. I do beleive it will fit, its just that its such a hard bolt to get in place (even with a stock chain) that it requires a lot of patience. The instructions that come with the chain are pretty pathetic, so for that, I blame Rollmaster, but the chain is a very high quality piece and I am excited to be running it in my motor, it is just discouraging when you hear about how so many people didn't have problems, and then you start to. I haven't even made it to putting the pulley back on, but I honestly don't believe I will have any problems.
Old 05-05-2003, 04:05 PM
TECH Addict

I was looking at a stock timing set and oil pump over the weekend during a cam install, and I don't see how its possible to fit a double roller and a shimmed pump in there. It doesn't look like there is enough room to get all that under the timing cover. Obviously it can be done, but that has to be a REALLY tight fit. Can some one shed some light on that?
Old 05-05-2003, 04:33 PM
On The Tree

Add to the list, I had to drill out the hole on the timing set for the alignment rod on the cam. It just wouldn't go on, I had to use a little emory cloth to smooth off the rod, that the chain boogered up, and then I had to drill it out ever so slightly, then it fit....