Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PRC .660 dual springs vs Patriot .660 lift dual springs?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 11:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default PRC .660 dual springs vs Patriot .660 lift dual springs?

Curious, any actual difference betweeen the two brands? Just curious cuz I have a set of the PRC .650 lift duals in my car from 2 years ago with a cam bigger than my buddy and have put probably 20,000 miles on it in the 2 years and a ton of track passes reving to 7000 - 7500 rpm and they're still goin strong, but my buddy just busted a patriot .660 lift spring in less than 11,000 miles and never even sees the track (but does see a lot of strenuous street duty). Just curious, cuz he had ordered a set of the PRC .660 springs and got sent Patriot .660 springs and he's worried about puttin them back in there and wondering if he should send 'em back and wait for the new one's or if they're the same? Thanks for any help guys!
Old 06-14-2007, 12:09 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They are the same springs he will be fine.
Old 06-14-2007, 02:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like previously stated, they're the exact same springs.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Same spring.

And was your buddy who busted the spring at less than 11K miles the same guy that really only blew out his emissions tube in his headers and caused widespread panic because he posted a thread without opening the hood first?
Old 06-14-2007, 04:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
Same spring.

And was your buddy who busted the spring at less than 11K miles the same guy that really only blew out his emissions tube in his headers and caused widespread panic because he posted a thread without opening the hood first?
i was going to type the same question but u beat me to it..and he hasn't changed the title of his post yet..
Old 06-14-2007, 05:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hes got ultra vision.....he doesnt need to open the hood
Old 06-14-2007, 05:31 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Originally Posted by 66deuce
i was going to type the same question but u beat me to it..and he hasn't changed the title of his post yet..
I just mentioned that's what he should do about 1 minute ago.
Old 06-14-2007, 06:02 PM
TECH Addict

Lightbulb

Devon, I like the way a lot of the so-called "genious'" think they can figure this **** out theirselves

It was 1:30 in the morning; meaning, NIGHTTIME.

Even with a flashlight YOU CANNOT SEE THIS PROBLEM with a STB, Nitrous Lines, Plug wires, etc. in the way

We didn't even notice the hole (not to mention one wouldn't THINK to look for a hole in the header) until we had the STB, Wires, and plugs out this afternoon.

The headers are a year and a half old and the engine bay was dirty (I mentioned the rain on the highway part right ). Just as Devon was about to yank the valve-cover we thought there was dirt on the header . . . until one of us went to wipe it off

Devon will delete this thread too . . . to asuage all of your fears
Old 06-14-2007, 06:03 PM
Banned

They are the same spring as mentioned. They are made by Associated Springs.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Same spring.

I went over today to pull the valvecover and inspect the springs and swap for him if necessary cuz he thought he may have broke a spring, and as soon as I pulled the strut tower brace I saw the hole in the header, it caught my eye when I went to pull the plug wires off, it looked like a stain at first, and i'm like wtf is that, went to stick my finger in it and it went in, was like hey dude, I found ur problem, I can finger ur #3 primary, hahaha!!!!
Old 06-15-2007, 07:20 AM
12 Second Club

LOL, how the hell could you not hear that exhaust leak?? When my paper gasket blew the very corner out, it was loud as hell. I can't imagine a hole big enough to stick your finger in not bein heard, even at idle.
Old 06-15-2007, 11:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
LOL, how the hell could you not hear that exhaust leak?? When my paper gasket blew the very corner out, it was loud as hell. I can't imagine a hole big enough to stick your finger in not bein heard, even at idle.
Dude, I didnt' hear the car. He said he thought he broke a spring, so i'm not about to start a car that might possibly have a broken spring, so I was going to pull the valvecovers first to inspect it.
Old 06-15-2007, 11:08 AM
12 Second Club

No, I wasn't talkin about you Devon. I meant your friend, LOL. Exhaust leaks are definetly not quiet especially at the primaries. I just would think a motor related problem like this would be a totally different sound than a finger sized hole in a primary.
Old 06-15-2007, 11:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

I cant really blame him for freaking out and expecting the worst, and I certainly cant fault you guys for not starting the car again. You guys did the right thing.

I just wish the post didnt just to such a drastic conclusion in the title. Maybe it could have been phrased something like "Could my 660 lift platinum duals have broken with only 11K?" It just seems a bit hasty to blame a component so definitively without having researched it.

Granted Ive been guilty of incorrectly suspecting a part myself, but with all the recent 918 spring issues now, you about gave us all a heart attack. Gold and Platinum duals seem to be our last hope for reliability!

Anyway, glad you guys got things sorted out. Sorry for the tangent.
Old 06-15-2007, 11:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
No, I wasn't talkin about you Devon. I meant your friend, LOL. Exhaust leaks are definetly not quiet especially at the primaries. I just would think a motor related problem like this would be a totally different sound than a finger sized hole in a primary.
I know all about leaks right by the motor, ahhaa, I broke a valvespring in bradenton one time (4 hours from home), and at the time it was just a cam only car and I did not have a trailer like I do now (one of the reasons I bought one). I found which cylinder it was on, disconnected the fuel injector, pulled the rockers off and pushrods out, pulled the plug wire off and pulled the plug out to keep compression out of the cylinder, and drove it home!!!! What a ******* trip!!!!! Sounded like constant gun shots (it was so ******* loud coming out of the spark plug hole), and I didn't wanna take it over 2500 rpm, so I limped home at about 45 or so (no overdrive with a turbo 400 with 3.73's and 28's)! a 4 hour ride turned into like 6 - 7!!! That had to have been the worst thing that's ever happened too me!!!! But at least I got her home and with no damage, swapped springs and she was back in action!!!
Old 06-15-2007, 11:18 AM
12 Second Club

Yea, definetly glad you guys got it figured out & it wasn't worse. And like stated above I too have been dooped a time or 2 when tracing down a problem. I too always look at the worst case first. I was just basically talkin about the difference in sounds the 2 problems would make. I have never personally had a internal motor problem with my LS1, but have had a exhaust leak in the engine compartment. I would just think metal on metal would sound a bit different than a exhaust leak.
Old 06-15-2007, 11:20 AM
TECH Junkie

I cant really blame him for freaking out and expecting the worst, and I certainly cant fault you guys for not starting the car again. You guys did the right thing.

I just wish the post didnt just to such a drastic conclusion in the title. Maybe it could have been phrased something like "Could my 660 lift platinum duals have broken with only 11K?" It just seems a bit hasty to blame a component so definitively without having researched it.

Granted Ive been guilty of incorrectly suspecting a part myself, but with all the recent 918 spring issues now, you about gave us all a heart attack. Gold and Platinum duals seem to be our last hope for reliability!

Anyway, glad you guys got things sorted out. Sorry for the tangent.
I love the gold and platinum dual springs, the golds have stood up to my huge *** cam (246/257 .632/.645) for two years and tons of track abuse and are still kickin!!!! And for around $250, you can't get any better than that!!!! Freakin Comp is nuts tryin to charge almost $600 for their 921 drop in duals, I bet they're not even as good as the PRC's and Patriots (I have no experience with the comps though, so I could be wrong)!
Old 06-15-2007, 06:23 PM
dug
Banned

Originally Posted by WOTFMAN
They are the same spring as mentioned. They are made by Associated Springs.
From Cam Guide:

PP, PRC, TEA, and all other "Gold" springs are all made from the same manufacture; Associated Springs. The differences are in the retainers and seat locators.

Which one has the better retainer?
Old 06-15-2007, 08:43 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

I just got the Kit with the PRC Springs from TX Speed for my setup, it came with Titanium Retainers. I just assembled the Heads last night, they look sharp..
This is what I got..http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...d=172&catid=48
These are the Heads after I got done.

Last edited by the_merv; 06-15-2007 at 08:53 PM.