Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

throwin together the bottem end

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 06:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default throwin together the bottem end

well i talked to my engine builder.....very very good at what he does, when i dropped off all my stuff to him, i told him i wanted the block cleaned and honed, i wanted the entire rotating assembly 100% balanced, and i wanted him to mill my heads, and assemble the short block. well its been awhile, so i called, the block is honed and cleaned, the rotating assembly is balanced perfectly, but no short block. he says he didnt think i wanted him to do it. and if i want it done it will be finished after july 4th weekend and it will cost me a day and a half more labor. my question is should i just assemble it myself or let him do it? i know my way around the engine and have done several things to it and many other cars, but never assembled a bottem end. how precise do i need to be? or should i let him do since hes been doing this stuff since the early 80s? opinions
Old 06-22-2007, 08:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well if you do it yourself you can say you built your motor. I think that is pretty cool to say as long as it stays together. There are some specific tools you need that can be bipassed but makes things easier. It really will be up to you but I would deffinately get some good literature on all the little things that are required for the LS1 build. If you just want to take a look at the whole process GM High Tech magazine did a full build that was really nice to read about what is involved.
Old 06-22-2007, 09:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well he was talking all this stuff about rod stretch, wrist pin clearances, and stuff like that
Old 06-22-2007, 10:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there are alot of clearance's, positions, and other requirements....you might not think of when thinking of building a motor, but will effect it in one way or the other...theres so much that goes into a complete build
Old 06-23-2007, 06:57 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've done everything on the car ( all suspension ,heads, exhaust, you name it ) but when it came to putting the longblock together I trusted an engine builder to do it for me. Could I do it? Yes, probably but that was one part I didn't want to get wrong. FWIW.
Old 06-24-2007, 02:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Viper i agree with you on this one. could i do it?.....probally, but i think id sleep better at night knowing i didnt miss something and potentially cause something to premature failure down the road