Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tomorrow's the big day! Starting my new engine for the first time

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 09:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tomorrow's the big day! Starting my new engine for the first time

Almost ready, I need to put the radiator and fans back in, fill it with oil and coolant, put the filter on, put the X pipe on, sway bar, and get the radiator shrouds and cowling back in place.

Any pointers / things to lool for? Brand new 383 LS6, did everything except assemble the shortblock myself. I haven't been this excited and nervous in a long time!
Old 06-23-2007, 09:39 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good luck! get us a video so we can see (and hear) the first startup, too
Old 06-23-2007, 09:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I remember the nervousness starting the cam swap the first time Make sure all the hose clamps are secure (especially on the upper radiator hose... AMHIK, I'm an idiot ), try and get as much air out of the radiator as you can, get all your tools out of the engine bay, and I guess prime the engine a few times first? Get the oil all worked through. Good luck, vids!!
Old 06-23-2007, 10:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

congrats and good luck!
Old 06-23-2007, 11:06 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hope the rod bolts cleas the oil pan windage tray or you will hear it knocking against them
good luck!!!
Old 06-23-2007, 11:11 PM
On The Tree

Good luck... I wont be starting mine up for awhile. Keep an eye on the oil/ coolant levels and look for any discoloration of the fluids. IE milky antifreeze.
Old 06-23-2007, 11:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cablebandit
hope the rod bolts cleas the oil pan windage tray or you will hear it knocking against them
good luck!!!
I spaced the windage tray with the spacers from ARP. I then turned the motor over a few times by hand and checked, I'm all clear!

Gonna let it run for 15-20 minutes, revving it occasionally to 2500ish. Once it reached operating temperature I'm gonna kill it, let it cool a bit, and change the oil and filter.

I'm not going to be able to sleep tonight. The excitement I have right now is greater than the excitement of the last 25 christmases and birthdays combined, with a healthy dose of nervousness for that slightly nauseous feeling.
Old 06-23-2007, 11:27 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You should start it without all that. Just incase you forgot to do something or it is not clearenced enough not run it for a long time but just to idle for a minute.
Old 06-23-2007, 11:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MUSTANGBRKR02
You should start it without all that. Just incase you forgot to do something or it is not clearenced enough not run it for a long time but just to idle for a minute.

No, if something goes wrong where I have to pull it out I'm just going to burn my house down and make a big insurance claim. I love my car, but I'm sick of working on it.
Old 06-24-2007, 03:54 AM
TECH Addict

As long as you turned it over by hand, torqued the heads correctly, degreed the cam, installed the o ring carefully, measured the preload, and didn't forget the rocker rocker trays you'll be fine.

Bring it up to operating temperature then let it cool, double check your coolant, then drive it, you cn change the oilf after the firts heat up but that's really overkill, the filter will trap any particles that are in there.
Old 06-24-2007, 08:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

well have you started it yet? get a video up man!
Old 06-24-2007, 08:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ProjecT 9
well have you started it yet? get a video up man!

Lol, no man I just rolled out of bed. I gotta run to the parts store and buy new plugs, some oil, coolant, ps fluid, an extra oil filter, and some flange gaskets for where my exhaust goes over the rear, and then I gotta finish getting the radiator and fans back in. I've got a laptop and high speed internet in the garage, I'll keep you guys updated.
Old 06-24-2007, 10:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mike94ZLT1
Lol, no man I just rolled out of bed. I gotta run to the parts store and buy new plugs, some oil, coolant, ps fluid, an extra oil filter, and some flange gaskets for where my exhaust goes over the rear, and then I gotta finish getting the radiator and fans back in. I've got a laptop and high speed internet in the garage, I'll keep you guys updated.
just rolled out of bed? its 10am!! get a move on it!

alright man, keep us updated and get a vid if you can.

you might have already posted but list out some specs of the new motor.

Jon
Old 06-24-2007, 10:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

lol, 10 AM is early to me! we're gonna need a hour by hour update
Old 06-24-2007, 11:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Hey Mike !!! I hear ya on the excited/nervousousness you are feeling. I felt the same way the first time I went to LG Motorsports. Damn it sounded good with the g5x3 cam. That cam is long gone and the new one is even better.

Anyways I am going to give you a call, and I hope to hear that everything is going well. Looking forward taking you for a ride on the I 96 expressway. That will have to pacify you until you get your new motor broken in and tuned. What kind of numbers are you expecting ?? Similar to mine with more torque I would guess ??? Good Luck and call me if you don't hear from me first.