Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to the board...cam question fo L98

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2003, 04:16 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the board...cam question fo L98

I am going to be rebuilding my 350 TPI L98 motor sometime in the near future.When I do, I want to put a nice cam in in it, but I am not sure what to buy. i plan on putting a forged crank and forged pistons in when i get the money. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanx.
Josh
Old 05-08-2003, 06:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Default Re: New to the board...cam question fo L98

You'd probably get a lot more opinions at http://www.thirdgen.org

But it depends on what you want out of the motor. The LT4 hot cam is popular, I like the CompCams 302 (210/220 .48"/.48"), but you can certainly go bigger.

The intake is also a restriction on those motors. You might consider at least a base & runners replacement.

-Andrew
Old 05-08-2003, 11:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Re: New to the board...cam question fo L98

Camaroholic is right...the intake setup on those L98's is a SERIOUS limitation.

Even if you get a base and runners, your cam selection will still need to be limited to ~220*@.050 on the intake side... there is something about those llllllllllllllllloooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnn nnnngggggggggggggggggggg runners and the harmonics that occur in the plenum that makes larger cams run like poo in those motors.

On a side note, are you planning on either doing some head work, or replacing the heads?? The L98 heads (especially the iron F-body versions) have GOT to be among the poorest flowing SBC heads ever released. In light of that fact, a cam with big lift isn't going to do an F'n thing for you.

Is the car going to have to pass emissions?? If not, I have had pretty good luck with the Comp extreme energy cam at 218/224 on a 110. We have that cam in a little 383 that my buddy's brother drives; it has a pretty smooth idle with a bit of lope, and has PLENTY of low speed grunt. Pulls through @5500, so you don't have to twist the hell out of the motor (though he IS using Vortec heads).

Good luck