Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Engine Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 12:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New Engine Help

I am buying a new short block and I have many questions. I have searched and found some answers but some I didn't find exactly what I was looking for. I So here's the list

1. Does anyone have a complete right up on removing the engine from the bottom. I have plenty of time to do this so I want to do it right...only once.

2. When I install the new engine(383 or 408) will the car run with a stock tune? Should I have the car towed to a shop and have them do a tune before I start it?

3. What other parts should I buy besides:
shortblock
complete heads
lifters and pushrods
timing chain
oil pump
gaskets
injectors
higher flow fuel pump
beer

4. What else should I factor into this equation?

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you are going to a bigger injector, don't waste time starting it on a stock tune. It probably will be so rich that it will foul the plugs.
Old 06-29-2007, 02:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

#1 question, use a factory manual, if not, pickup one of the LS1 performance book, they have steps to do just what you asked.
But to answer this question better.. what car/truck are you working with ?
Old 06-29-2007, 04:47 PM
Teching In

Sorry,

2000 Camaro SS
Old 07-04-2007, 12:46 AM
12 Second Club

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Buy this book for step by step instructions WITH pictures on how to pull the motor out of the bottom on F-Bodies: How To Build High-Performance Chevy LS1/LS6 V-8s: Modifying and Tuning Gen III Engines for GM Cars & Pickups

Here's an amazon.com link:

http://www.amazon.com/How-Build-High...3527857&sr=1-1

I pulled my motor out of the bottom and did everything except for one thing this book advised and it cost me an extra $100 to have my air condition recharged. If I had ready the book first, I would have found out how to avoid disconnecting the air.
Old 07-04-2007, 02:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

my bad english skills complicate this alot, i have removed the engine from 4th gen few times,

right or not, but thats the way i do it, takes me about 4 hours, someones maybe finds something wrong with this, and if so please do, i will just be glad to know it to,

i do it loke this,

start to take the catback from the car, then i remove driveshaft, both are very easy you se how to to it when you get under the car,

then go to the engine bay, i firs take the lid out, then i disconect all the water hoses, the steering rack, and electric harness thats needs to,

then i take the engine controle module from the car, under there the engine wiring loom goes through the firewall in to the car, open the passenger door and remove the plastic pieces that are in front of the door and unplug the loom, and then pull through the firewall,

then go under the car, loose up the torsion bar, disconect the "line from clutch slave" (need word) and check for things that you see that stays in the car though the engine goes out of it,

then i put something under the car for the K member to sit on, lose the K member (3 bolts on each side under the car, and few on each side above the shock absorder in the engine bay) then i just lift the car up and the engine is out..

notice.. i would spell it and use better words if i just could.. hope this helps

here are some pics from when i took it out of my car

Old 07-04-2007, 02:39 AM
Launching!

Make sure you're not forgetting your pistons. If you are (I don't know if you can) reuse your old ones, make sure to get new rings. Do you have all the bearings you need?
Old 07-05-2007, 10:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Shock Hawk
Make sure you're not forgetting your pistons. If you are (I don't know if you can) reuse your old ones, make sure to get new rings. Do you have all the bearings you need?
I am buying either a fully forged short block or a brand new ls6. So it will come with everything needed.

Thanks for all of the input guys. Is there anybody out there who has done this without a lift and just a cherry picker?