Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

head bolt torque ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 06:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default head bolt torque ?

Has anyone figured out what the head bolt torque is for stock head bolts? I know that the spec is Xft/lbs + 90deg. but i am looking for AN ACTUALL FT/LBS NUMBER! I cannot get my torque angle meter to fit on the back lower head bolt!
Old 06-30-2007, 08:23 PM

use a sharpie marker and draw a line straight down the head of the bolt and use that as your guide to turning the bolt 90deg. just a fyi
Old 06-30-2007, 09:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by stocks10
I know that the spec is Xft/lbs + 90deg.
You better be doing that +90 deg. twice.
Old 06-30-2007, 11:13 PM
Teching In

^^g thanks for the info! I don't think that was the Question though was it! I mean, is it in the rules here for every post that someone makes, there has to be at least one person to make a response that is quite possibly the dumbest thing you can say. The question was about a torque number not what the DEGREE should be! If I wanted to know that i would have asked!!
Old 07-01-2007, 05:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Apparently that information is Top Secret. The GM factory manual is 3k pages and it's not revealed there. There's nothing wrong with the ft/lb plus degree method especially if you have an angle meter. One that one cylinder you can just use the shade tree method of marking the bolt head with a sharpie or some whiteout.
Old 07-01-2007, 07:07 AM
Teching In

yeah that what i was going to do if i couldn't figure out the actuall tourqe number. Jst figured it was worth a shot to see if someone knew it or not. Thanks 98slowta and eallanboggs for the tip.
Old 07-01-2007, 08:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You cannot reliably assign a torque value. The reason for the rotation is there is a specific bolt stretch that results from the pitch angle of the threads. Torque is very inaccurate for measuring bolt pre-load unless you properly account for friction in a very reliable and repeatable manner. This is why ARP has their own lube, it allows them to use torque as the measurement.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=3
Old 07-01-2007, 09:57 AM
TECH Resident

Right ^. The 10 (per head) 15 mm GM head bolts are torqued to 22 lb-ft then 90 degrees twice (total of 180 degrees) - in TWO passes. The 5 (per head) 10 mm bolts are torqued to 22 lb ft only - WITHOUT using the torque to yield process.

This is what I did when replacing my LS1 to LS6 heads as per the instructions on LS1HOWTO.COM
Old 07-01-2007, 11:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^^g thanks for the info! I don't think that was the Question though was it! I mean, is it in the rules here for every post that someone makes, there has to be at least one person to make a response that is quite possibly the dumbest thing you can say. The question was about a torque number not what the DEGREE should be! If I wanted to know that i would have asked!!
Then set your torque wrench on 150 ft/lbs and click away Mr 10 post smartass.
Old 07-01-2007, 12:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

No one here assigns a torque value on the last 3 passes of TTY bolts.
10 posts and asking help = smart ***??
Old 07-01-2007, 08:08 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
Then set your torque wrench on 150 ft/lbs and click away Mr 10 post smartass.
i didn't know it was a requirement to have 3000 posts to be a smart *** on this site also. IF YOU CAN'T ANSWER A QUESTION THAN WHY RESPOND TO A POST!!! THIS IS THE REASON I ONLY HAVE 10 POSTS, BECAUSE OF STUPID ANSWERS LIKE THAT
Old 07-01-2007, 08:24 PM
On The Tree

i didn't know it was a requirement to have 3000 posts to be a smart *** on this site also. IF YOU CAN'T ANSWER A QUESTION THAN WHY RESPOND TO A POST!!! THIS IS THE REASON I ONLY HAVE 10 POSTS, BECAUSE OF STUPID ANSWERS LIKE THAT
The reason they all have alot of posts is because they can be smart asses because they read up on everything on these cars so they sound good talking about how a shop built it anyways. You see if those of us that build our own cars had shops build them we 2 could have a 1/2 million posts because we have nothing better to do than sit in front of a computer just hoping the shop finishes it soon.
BTY just use the marker method like the intellegent couple of people on this site had to recommend
Old 07-02-2007, 05:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

There is etiquette in answering queries and feedback.
Post 1 Query
Post 2 answer
Post 3 answer
Post 4 smart ***

You will not get much help here with this attitude.

Originally Posted by 00black ram air
The reason they all have alot of posts is because they can be smart asses because they read up on everything on these cars so they sound good talking about how a shop built it anyways. You see if those of us that build our own cars had shops build them we 2 could have a 1/2 million posts because we have nothing better to do than sit in front of a computer just hoping the shop finishes it soon.
BTY just use the marker method like the intellegent couple of people on this site had to recommend.
You know these comments can have a reverse self describing effect. I could say that since Mar 04, you only have 140 posts because you are unnable to grasp any of the tech here and to selfish to contribute any knowledge.
Never generalize in life, otherwise you'll be ammazed what section of society you'll fall in.

Last edited by PREDATOR-Z; 07-02-2007 at 10:48 AM.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used absolute torque specs on the head bolts in an emergency when I had to actually reuse the TTY bolts. HIGHLY RECOMMENEDED AGAINST, but it held for 2K miles and a number of dyno pulls until I was prepared to do the head swap.

Ill bet you'd like to know what I torqued them to...

...Quit being a jerk and maybe someone will share.
Old 07-02-2007, 01:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

the degree finder is only like $9.99 at autozone fyi not to much $$$
Old 07-02-2007, 04:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If you feel that you must use a torque reading get yourself some ARP head bolts or head studs and some ARP assembly lube and then you wiil be able to use a torque wrench on the head bolts...other wise you will have to be satisfied on using the method described by the people that have been trying to help you in the above posts..good luck which ever way you decide to go ... personally I went with the ARP .. you can reuse them over and over where the torque to yeild bolts (GM OEM bolts) can only be used once.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:38 PM
Teching In

it is not an issue of needing to torque them, i simply stated that my torque angle meter will not fit on the back lower head bolt (LS1 is in an S10 and i do not have the room). So i simply asked if anyone had figured out a way to torque the bolts to a specific value and still get the proper stretch on the bolt. I didn't think the question was to hard to understand. As for being a jerk, everytime i, or someone i know, asks a question on this site, it seems as if there is always someone to say something stupid! Kinda like they read the first sentence of a post and that is all they need to make an answer!
foe example: "the degree finder is only like $9.99 at autozone fyi not to much $$$"
as stated in the First post, "I have a torque angle meter" and i am very familiar with using it!
So to the people who try to help others out, Thank You
As for the others that are just trying to get a high post count, PLEASE JUST DO NOT REPLY TO MY THREADS!!
Old 07-02-2007, 05:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If the angle meter won't fit, I usually try to get the wrench at an angle that is close to something obvious with enough swing to get to another obvious angle. For example, if I can get the wrench at 45 degrees and swing through another 90 degrees (say 2 o'clock to roughly 4:30) with a mark on the bolt you will be pretty darn close and also not over-rotate.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:30 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
You better be doing that +90 deg. twice.
but, not on the outer middle long bolts. it's 90* then 50* on those four.