Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need some help, motor might be on its way out

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 07:04 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default need some help, motor might be on its way out

my motor has been burning oil for some time now, at least thats what im assuming it is, its progressively been getting worse, starting to smoke out the tail pipes at idle, and getting worse and worse, then i was laying into it coming up this hill, and when i got out of the car to open the gate to get to where i was going i noticed it was just pouring out smoke, ive been told its either valve seals or my rings are bad, but i have no idea for sure, anyone know of anything else it could be? or any advice of where/how to start looking? thanks.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just posted a response about a similar problem...typically, valve seals will cause some smoke on start up and usually start up only...once the motor is heated, the motor will not be using CONSIDERABLE amts of oil..although it still may use some....for rings however, smoke will occur at all times since oil is being used inside the cylinder walls...since it is smoking and pouring out at all times I would lean towards that a ring or rings are bad....
Old 07-09-2007, 12:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you tore it apart and looked at the walls , you would be able to see whether or not you have a blown ring...look for scratching on the cylinder walls as well..
Old 07-09-2007, 12:57 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks, im gonna tear into it tonight and see what i can find. hopefully it wont be to much of a hassel. ill update tonight or tomorrow with what i find.