Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is AFR making an aftermarket LS1 head for us???

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2003, 12:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Is AFR making an aftermarket LS1 head for us???

i have a link here from a friend. someone check it out. i have heard nothing about it. anyone?

http://www.nethirdgen.org/cgi-bin/ul...1&t=036425

Here is the message copied and pasted from that link.

Hello....As some of you might have read in a previous post, AFR has started creating an aftermarket cylinder head for the new GM small block. We hope to have a prototype ready for SEMA and PRI and with a little luck, production is expected for the first of the year...(certainly more luck than we had launching our BBC product!!...lol). The reason for this post is to notify anyone with a current ported version of the GM casting (such as one done by Lingenfelter, etc.) that we would like to evaluate your head at no charge and pay all shipping costs both ways. All the information gathered will be shared with you and a flowsheet sent back with the cylinder head. Also, we will offer you a discount on purchasing an AFR LS1 offering at any point in the future if you so desire. Some porting shops and manufacturers make big claims and we would like to see how accurate some of the information actually is. It would be physically impossible for us to purchase and evaluate a pair of all of the GM ported LS1 offerings, although we have certainly gathered quite a few. Bottom line, if anyone wants to truly see how their cylinder head "stacks up" and we haven't had the oppurtunuity to see one like it yet, the information shared will be beneficial to everyone. If you are interested, feel free to contact me at AFR.
The phone # is 818-890-0616 ext. 109
Thank you,
Tony Mamo
Old 05-13-2003, 12:42 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Is AFR making an aftermarket LS1 head for us???

Now that is REALLY interesting. I know these guys have some of the best out of the box heads around.

Interested in seeing what they are going to do for the LS1!
Old 05-13-2003, 02:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While this DOES interest me to some extent, I am a LOT more interested in someone designing/building an intake that'll open things up for us... there are plenty of ported factory castings floating around that flow 300+ cfm @.550-.600, but IIRC, the intake only flows something like 285 cfm.

I'm not saying that I have the answer, but there has GOT to be a way to balance plenum volume, runner volume/shape, runner length, in such a way that the intake flows 300+ cfm, yet does not kill low-end response/power due to lack of port velocity.

Nonetheless, seeing how a set of AFR LSx heads perform would be damned interesting...
Old 05-13-2003, 04:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah now this is getting interesting.AFR rocks.In fact have a set of thier 210cc full on race head-SBC.
Old 05-13-2003, 05:47 AM
11 Second Club

YAHOO! I love to hear this kind of stuff!
Old 05-13-2003, 05:47 AM
Resident Grump

That's a round about way of saying "Send us your head so we don't have to do the R&D on port design." Yep they'll flow all the heads , pick the best ports, digitise them and make a port mold. All that's left is casting the head and throwing it on a CNC machine.

Oh and one other thing... that set of heads you just spent $2500+ are worth less for all the help you gave.

Good scam....

Old 05-13-2003, 10:33 AM
Launching!

"That's a round about way of saying "Send us your head so we don't have to do the R&D on port design." Yep they'll flow all the heads , pick the best ports, digitise them and make a port mold. All that's left is casting the head and throwing it on a CNC machine.

Oh and one other thing... that set of heads you just spent $2500+ are worth less for all the help you gave.

Good scam...."

I'd call this good old American-style business, and much better for the community as a whole.

It is amazing to me that people actually think that they have some right to not have their port work or cam work copied. THERE IS NO INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY PROTECTION FOR ANY OF THESE ACTIVITIES UNDER THE LAW. NONE. If anything, using your logic, GM ought to come down hard on every head porter around for cannabalizing THEIR intellectual property - that being the ORIGINAL head design.

NOT ONE of the shops servicing the aftermarket have any claim to ANYTHING done with a cylinder head. Why? It's all covered under "prior art". That's the legal term in patent law for "IT'S ALL BEEN DONE BEFORE, BUB".

Now, this is going to be what happens if AFR or Edelbrock get serious about this...

Both companies have the resources to do things even the biggest shops here can't even dream of - casting their own heads, CNC machining their own heads, exhaustively testing them, and bringing them to a vast market quickly for far less money.

In the end, the CUSTOMER wins. And I'm the customer, so I like that.

If someone wants intellectual property protection, then they better fork over the cash to do something far more innovative and special than taking a die grinder to some cylinder heads. Because if you don't, then the big companies are going to do EXACTLY what they are good at - using their size, money and superior technical resources to dominate the market.

Three cheers for AFR! It's about damned time someone went after a mass-produced, CNC, LS1/6 cylinder head. There's no way one EARTH anyone should be able to charge more than $1800 for a full-blown, top-class valve train, Stage-2 ported, CNC LSx cylinder head. If you are charging more than that, I'd be ready to get hit HARD where it hurts.
Old 05-13-2003, 01:26 PM
TECH Resident

Old 05-13-2003, 03:31 PM
Banned

Im a dealer for AFR stuff and i heard about these heads a few months ago...

The sales rep (i believe it was tony) told me about the heads they are doing. They arent going to just release a copy of a factory head, they are redoing the port design completely but are going to use highly efficient port work examples off normal ls1 heads.

so expect 300 cfm out of the box, and then port it for REALLY big #'s.
Old 05-13-2003, 03:35 PM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

...., I'd be ready to get hit HARD where it hurts.
Yep, right in the ding ding

Old 05-13-2003, 06:05 PM
*Bad Trader*

Good maybe they can leach some money out of the richer LS1 crowd, for a set of overpriced, mediocer performning heads.
Thirdgenner's are stupid enough to see it as a "Status symbol" or so they tell me on thirdgen orgy.
BBC... most of them are racers they know better...
the ls1 folks genererally have more money than brains. why not get them, dazzle those morons with bullshit please.
now that was funny to read. see that guys, we are role models
Old 05-13-2003, 07:29 PM
12 Second Club

ya ive heard that from those folks before. they say how much of a "freak" motor we have. they dont understand how beneficial these motors are. and to the post, more power to AFR
Old 05-13-2003, 07:37 PM
TECH Junkie

If AFR does actually release an LS1/LS6 head that promises to be bad-***, I'll buy a pair as soon as they are available!

I wonder if they'll come with numerous options (big springs, big valves, etc...).
Old 05-13-2003, 07:41 PM
Adkoonerstrator

I emailed AFR a WHILE back and they were testing castings on a few cars already evidently. The way they were talking their heads sound like they could be badass.

PS - They wouldn't release any numbers or specs.
Old 05-13-2003, 09:47 PM
11 Second Club

An release date would be awesome!!

I'll be ready to buy some heads really soon and willing to wait if its only a few months out.