Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can 30 deg of timing destroy an engine?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 07:35 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can 30 deg of timing destroy an engine?

I have a 98 LS1 with a mild cam that just imploded at the track (road racing). The bearings at the crank are shot. My shop where my car is has claimed that having 30 degrees of timing at peak torque was the reason. Another shop where it was tuned says otherwise. Can anyone comment on this and please remember that this is not a daily driver but for road and track events. I of course only use 93 octane. The engine had 55k miles on it when it was put in my car. The car was only on the track for 15 minutes and I wasn't pushing hard yet so I don't think oil starvation was the issue.

thanks for any input.

R
Old 07-12-2007, 07:49 AM
TECH Addict

To much timing can cause detonation issues which could lead to undesired forces on the rotating assembly. But you would have to seriously beat the hell outta the motor for a continued time frame (while hearing knock and pinging). imo
Old 07-12-2007, 07:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Optimum timming for an LS1 is about 27-28deg total. You could have easily had detonation with the timming at 30 deg and the engine working that hard, but you would have heard it.

I'd say your tunner whent a bit far but that most likely didn't kill the engine.

Re'
Old 07-12-2007, 07:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

30 degrees at peak TQ is not good, but not enough to do that much damage to your cam only motor. Like stated you would have heard knock if it was that bad, plus knock sensors usually take care of eliminating the knock.

I suspect your damage came from something else.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

pictures of parts ?

Originally Posted by rceron
I have a 98 LS1 with a mild cam that just imploded at the track (road racing). The bearings at the crank are shot. My shop where my car is has claimed that having 30 degrees of timing at peak torque was the reason. Another shop where it was tuned says otherwise. Can anyone comment on this and please remember that this is not a daily driver but for road and track events. I of course only use 93 octane. The engine had 55k miles on it when it was put in my car. The car was only on the track for 15 minutes and I wasn't pushing hard yet so I don't think oil starvation was the issue.

thanks for any input.

R
Old 07-12-2007, 10:57 AM
Teching In

Sorry I don't have pics. The shop said that the rods were purple as well. They also stated that at full WOT and full exhaust I probably would not have heard pinging/detonation, which I didn't.

So are we saying that the tune might have been the straw that broke the camel's back, so to speak?

thanks!
Old 07-12-2007, 11:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm running 29 degrees of timing off a 91 octane tune with no issues, I switch to 94 octane for track, but on hot days I haven't heard any pinging nor has my knock sensors pulled any timing. I know they're not off either.

I would say something else took out your engine, oil pump?, oil starvation during hard turns ? Most autox people I know ensure at least 6 quarts + the long filter to make sure they have adequate oiling.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:00 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

i can see to much timing taking out the upper end like pistons, valves, ect, not a crank bearing though .
being a 98 was it high mileage?
Old 07-12-2007, 12:33 PM
TECH Resident

Oil starvation?
Old 07-12-2007, 12:41 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by rceron
Sorry I don't have pics. The shop said that the rods were purple as well. They also stated that at full WOT and full exhaust I probably would not have heard pinging/detonation, which I didn't.

So are we saying that the tune might have been the straw that broke the camel's back, so to speak?

thanks!
You should have felt some sort of stumble or lack of power in the throttle transitions if timing was being pulled from knock at least. If the rods were purple sounds like an oil starvation problem causing heat in the rotating assembly. I bet the crank journals had the sheit burned out of them also.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Another 98 pump kills a 98 LS1.... I am worried

Maybe I should just get my Cali legal smog cam (Stealth II, nice and torquey) and change the pump at the same time.

Too bad I am in college and money does not grow on trees
Old 07-13-2007, 07:42 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the input guys. Incidentally, my engine already had an upgraded/ported oil pump. As many have pointed out, oil starvation could have been a reason given that this is a major issue with the LS1 and driving on the track. Next engine will have a 3 quart Accusump. I just want to learn more about advanced timing effects. Points about timing have been "all over the map"--definitely no clear answer.