Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil issues... very recent problem not sure what to do

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 04:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil issues... very recent problem not sure what to do

Ok internally my LS1 is stock, all it's got done to it is LT's, ORY, Lid and suspension...

after a recent tire install, I took it to another shop to get a quote on a strut install and they told me my oil change light was on... I checked the oil and I had to add over 2 quarts... my last oil change was less than 1500 miles ago. Before it happened, maybe two or three days before I had a chance to check it I noticed a lot of surging and my idle dropping from 800-900 to 400-500 but only when the AC was on, I had no surging or idle issues without it on that I noticed

that was 3 or 4 days ago.

today, my light flashed on for maybe a minute then was gone again, AC was on and the idle issue was back (after 3 or 4 days without after adding oil)

what could cause this?
under the car its clean as can be, I don't see any oil around anything and even the outside of the filter looked ok... I'm running rich but I don't see any smoke issues or colors...

haven't checked the oil level just yet, figured I'd let it settle and cool just a bit to see how much oil I've got in there after 3-4 days time...

any suggestions would be excellent at this point, I'm at a loss
Old 07-15-2007, 12:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

^^^
Old 07-15-2007, 01:03 AM
Closed Sponsor Account

I know that the PCV systems on these motors consume oil like a fat kid does cake.
Either try a catch can, or a new PCV valve that GM is selling that supposedly improves the PCV system and oil consumption issues we all experience.

As far as the surging goes..you may want to get a small tune on it just to clean it up a bit...not that you need it after a LT install, but it may help...just food for thought.

FWIW, I run a METCO breather, and got rid of PCV all together. Cleaned up the engine bay a whole lot, and boom, no more oil in my intake. Consumption is almost none and all I have to do is clean my breather occasionally and I'm good.

Good luck, keep us posted
Erik
Old 07-15-2007, 01:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

any pics of setups? i've searched and not much seems to work search wise for me...

it's an 01 with just over 24k on the clock
Old 07-15-2007, 08:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ERIK@MASPORT
"...or a new PCV valve that GM is selling that supposedly improves the PCV system and oil consumption issues we all experience."
First I have heard of this, do you have anymore information?