Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2003, 11:28 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PLEASE HELP

ok im have a huge problem. i recently built a ls1 using my old block honed .005 for wiseco pistons. i have a tea s1.5 head, a tr230 cam an ls6 intake, hooker lt headers black, and a true dual exhaust setup. ok when i start the car the oil pressure is at 40+ but when it gets to normal operating temps it drops down to 20# and goes up with rpms. is this bad. has anyone experianced this with any cam/ heads motors. also the temps on the car is normal 210 under but the engine bay seems unusually hot. is this normal. and sometimes when i start the car i get low oil light in the cluster. but my oil level is fine. its goes away if i turn the key on off a couple of times. oh and one more problem. i installed an adjustable master, spec s3 clutch and resurfaced the flywheel. now it chatters/ shakes when i leave on first at low rpms and pops out of third when i let go of the gas pedal and coast a little. i really want to get this stuff buttoned up soon so if anyone can help i will be very thankful.
Old 05-16-2003, 12:11 AM
Launching!

Default Re: PLEASE HELP

Clutch chatter is common for aftermarkets that can hold back a lot of power, mine does it.

As far as the oil pressure, could that have anything to do with piston rings?

My oil pressure is at 40 at idle and goes to 60-65 at WOT.
Old 05-16-2003, 12:33 AM
TECH Resident

oil pressure will vary... high when oil is cold and thick, lower when warm and thin... and will vary by load/revs... i heard the average pressure is around 10psi for every 1000rpms...
Old 05-16-2003, 08:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

20 psi is too low at idle. It has nothing to do with your ring pack.

Did you replace the timing chain when you installed the new cam? If you did, you had to have removed the oil pump. If you removed the oil pump, there is a 99% chance that your low/varying oil press. is a result from a missing or improperly installed O ring between the pump and the oil pickup tube that inserts into the pump.

Do a search on the O ring / oil pump / Low Oil Pressure and you will find lots of info. In fact, there were at least 3 different threads about this very same problem within the 1 or 2 weeks.

Good Luck,
Ron