Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Think I messed up my car, need opinions

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2003, 01:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Think I messed up my car, need opinions

Last night I was pulling out of an apartment complex and ran over a median w/ one wheel pretty hard. I thought i was far enough right of it but obviously not. Well I hit it hard enough to make my air bags deploy. I was pretty shocked this happened from hitting a curb and scraping the underside of my car. Anyways, when this happened, I turned around and went back to the apartments, driving for maybe 1 minute.

Well I decided to drive it home since it was running fine. About 3 min or so into my drive I heard the engine start knocking bad. I look down and see I have no oil pressure. I freak out and turn off my car, get it towed to the dealership, and go home.

Well since it was dark last night when all this happened, I couldn't see how bad the leak was or where it was coming from. Today I went back to the spot where I hit the curb and there was ALOT of oil right where I hit it and there was a nice trail showing where I turned around and stuff.

So it appears I drove my car for 3 minutes or so with no oil. The tow truck guy started it like a dumbass when he got it to the dealership so that shows it didn't seize. What's the worst that could have happened? Should I be as worried as I am?
Old 05-18-2003, 02:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default Re: Think I messed up my car, need opinions *DELETED*

Sorry to here that, maybe you will get lucky
Old 05-18-2003, 02:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Think I messed up my car, need opinions

man that sounds pretty serious, maybe you had a real thin layer if your lucky but I bet some damage occurred, can you make an insurance claim?
Old 05-18-2003, 09:25 AM
TECH Resident

as low as the fbody's sit I imagine you damaged your oil pan causing the leak. did you damage the motor internals? very possibly but you may have gotten lucky. if you have full coverage insurance and play it right all damages should be covered, since they all would have resulted from the accident with the median.
Old 05-18-2003, 12:26 PM
TECH Resident

Yup, sounds like you put a hole in the oil pan, more than likely there are a few spun bearings in there...
Pull it out yourself to save some money!

AJ
Old 05-18-2003, 01:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well I went to the body shop last night to try to look at it but it was inside the fence. Yeah my guess was it was the oil pan. Good news is I have full coverage so if the engine is screwed up a new one will be paid for. I'm just trying to think positively about this. Would insurance pay for an LS6? =)
Old 05-18-2003, 04:29 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Depending on the insurance company they may let you apply the payoff to an LS6, but if so I would apply the money towards an aftermarket stroker like a 383 or 427 LS1.