Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

smoke!

Old 07-26-2007, 10:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default smoke!

and lots of it! i just finished heads/cam on my car (torquer 3) and it is still untuned. now this car shoots out ridiculous amounts of smoke! is this normal? the smoke has a whitish/blue tint to it.... if this is normal, will it be fixed once i'm tuned? thanks guys

jacob
Old 07-26-2007, 11:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea I have the same thing. I changed the vavle seals and it did nothing. did not smoke before heads.
So I am in the same boat as you and would like to know this as well. My car is going to get tuned in about 2 weeks and get 38# injectors.
Old 07-28-2007, 12:39 AM
TECH Addict

no one drove a cammed car without a tune before and can tell me if they experienced this? just wanna check if something is wrong before i put it on teh dyno
Old 07-29-2007, 11:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get rid of your PCV system or put a catch can on it. You pulling oil through PCV system into the intake.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mustang Hat'r 2
Get rid of your PCV system or put a catch can on it. You pulling oil through PCV system into the intake.

Sucking oil threw the intake would not cause white smoke. If it was burning oil, it would be black. Hate to say it but white is usually coolant.

I had stock heads on mine, but i know after my cam swap, before the tune the car didnt smoke that bad(but i never went WOT until after the tune).

A quick way to check the PCV anyway would to just pull of the lid and MAF off, crack the throttle body, and peak in there with a flashlight to check for a bunch of oil residue.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:26 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Blk97WS6
Sucking oil threw the intake would not cause white smoke. If it was burning oil, it would be black. Hate to say it but white is usually coolant.

I had stock heads on mine, but i know after my cam swap, before the tune the car didnt smoke that bad(but i never went WOT until after the tune).

A quick way to check the PCV anyway would to just pull of the lid and MAF off, crack the throttle body, and peak in there with a flashlight to check for a bunch of oil residue.
the smoke is black, not white. i'll check the intake for oil. it was a new intake so it shouldn't be too hard to locate. my next question is, would a catch can fix oil in the intake if that were the case? i have a breather that i haven't installed yet, would that help? (besides the fact that it looks cool )
Old 07-30-2007, 12:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by qwikz28
the smoke is black, not white. i'll check the intake for oil. it was a new intake so it shouldn't be too hard to locate. my next question is, would a catch can fix oil in the intake if that were the case? i have a breather that i haven't installed yet, would that help? (besides the fact that it looks cool )
A can catch will solve the problem if its getting in threw the PCV system, which is a VERY, VERY common problem with ls1's. I installed a catch can on my car, and had no problems burning oil ever since.

Since you installed new heads, im guessing the valve seals are new, so more then likely you ARE burning oil threw the intake.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

White smoke is coolent
White/blue smoke is oil
Black smoke means your rich as hell

First post states blue smoke, that is oil. I had that after the cam install the catch can fixed it.
Old 07-30-2007, 04:14 PM
TECH Addict

confirmed i'm burning oil due to a mist of oil covering the rear bumper of my car thanks guys, i'm ordering a catch can as we speak.

Search this Thread