Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some trouble after H/C Install

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 02:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Some trouble after H/C Install

I had a very reputable "unnamed" shop install my heads and cam and tune it for me recently.

My radiator now ever since I got the car back has been running low on coolant. We have possibly traced the leak to the crossover tube connecting the heads in the back of the engine.

We were at first suspicious of a head gasket leak, but pulling all plugs out, all showed a good burn, w/ very slight variations in color, a little on the rich side. Before leaving to goto the gym today, I cranked up my car for the first time in about 24 hours(so the engine/coolant/oil were as cool as can be expected in Florida) moved it less then 20 ft, so that the water hose could reach the radiator. So the engine was running maybe 25 seconds at most. Upon pulling the radiator cap off, smoke came out of the 3-4 quart low radiator, and it smelled like burn't gas/carbon. Ever since I got it back, a dirt like residue has also been building on the cap of the radiator, like black dirt, but again possibly carbon.

Can anyone shed some light on this, does it sound like some sort of headgasket problem?

If so, I have a 98 LS1 engine, w/ the 00+ heads on it, so can I use the cometic MLS gaskets if I have to swap the gaskets?

Thanks for any info.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What does the shop that did the work say?

Pressure test it and you will probably find your answer.
Old 07-27-2007, 03:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by DaddySS
What does the shop that did the work say?

Pressure test it and you will probably find your answer.
Sorry for the stupid question where can you normally get one of these pressure testers?
Old 07-27-2007, 05:09 PM
On The Tree

What is the difference between pressure testing and compression testing? What kind of tool do you use? Sorry not to up on this stuff.

The shop was denying anything being wrong and this was "just how it is supposed to be". The smoke/radiator is a new thing, will call them about it soon.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:25 PM
Launching!

you can rent a cooling system pressure tester at autozone or a local autoparts store that rents tools. it will pressurize the cooling system without the engine running, making it easier to look/listen for leaks
Old 07-27-2007, 07:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by up2nuthingud
you can rent a cooling system pressure tester at autozone or a local autoparts store that rents tools. it will pressurize the cooling system without the engine running, making it easier to look/listen for leaks
Thank-you very much for the info, called AutoZone and they have one I'll be testing my car in the a.m. as I have a head leaking now that I did a Heads/Cam R&R not sure what to think after all the work. Sorry I didn't mean to hi-jack this post!!!!
Old 07-29-2007, 12:49 AM
On The Tree

glad it was able to answer your question. I called the shop that did my install, and they want me to bring it back in and let them do some tests to check for cracks and stuff.... I will be right by there side this time helping and watching to make sure stuff gets done as right as could be.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by QuickdomesticRacer
glad it was able to answer your question. I called the shop that did my install, and they want me to bring it back in and let them do some tests to check for cracks and stuff.... I will be right by there side this time helping and watching to make sure stuff gets done as right as could be.
Good luck, I fix my leak now I can't get it started. The thing we do to ours cars!!!