Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to get a cam installed...few questions.

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 03:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Looking to get a cam installed...few questions.

'00 z28 slp lid, QTP LT's, y-pipe, magnaflow catback, 2.73's

So far I got the full exhaust and I'm really thinking about gettin a cam put in. I know basic engine stuff and how a cam works, but basically I'll never be able to put this in. Is a cam the way to go or should I go for a supercharger of some kind. If you do recommend a cam, which would you recommend for me.

I drive it only for fun and usually on the weekends. I just want to make it quicker and have around 400RWHP. I'm thinking about stalling it as well with a yank 3600 so do I have to worry about that too if i decide to do both. I'm not really on a budget of any kind, yet I don't want to spend too much on the car. I know supercharging em can really add up. But if I could get some estimates on this or just answer one or two questions of mine, that'd be great. I've been using the search a lot and I'll keep doin so.
Old 07-28-2007, 05:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the cheaper route would definatly be the cam. you would want a stall though. i would do a head/cam package from patriot, TSP, livernois, etc. then with a stall and a tune you will be in business. i would consider the LS6 intake when you are doing it. i probably spent around $2300 for the cam, intake, assembled heads, pushrods, lifters and gaskets. it will vary thought depending on what heads and lifters you get. 400 HP can be easily obtained with a setup like this and a tune. as for the gears, you will like different ones but those would work for the time being.
Old 07-28-2007, 06:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by cals400ex
the cheaper route would definatly be the cam. you would want a stall though. i would do a head/cam package from patriot, TSP, livernois, etc. then with a stall and a tune you will be in business. i would consider the LS6 intake when you are doing it. i probably spent around $2300 for the cam, intake, assembled heads, pushrods, lifters and gaskets. it will vary thought depending on what heads and lifters you get. 400 HP can be easily obtained with a setup like this and a tune. as for the gears, you will like different ones but those would work for the time being.
Did you install everything yourself or did you have a shop do it at that price? Also I've heard you can do a head/cam package and still get good gas mileage. Is this true? Not a big deal, but I'd rather not drive around getting 9mpg.
Old 07-28-2007, 07:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

i installed everything myself. i would say you could get pretty good fuel economy with a midsized cam and a good tune. here is about what i paid with shipping included:

$1500 shipped for TSP 2.5 5.3L assembled heads, all gaskets needed, and pushrods
$320 for a used LS6 intake
$110 for LS7 lifters
$400 for the TR224 cam

If you can find any of these parts used then you would save for sure. I prefer new lifters and pushrods myself, considering they don't cost a ton anyways. I got a new timing chain cover gasket, head gaskets, intake gaskets, and waterpump gaskets. I included these in the price with the heads and pushrods since i bought it all from TSP.
Old 07-28-2007, 07:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

by the way, i don't want to recommend a cam to you because i don't have any experience with any other one than the TR224 that i have. i stayed this mild because i am running a stock stall and tranny. i didn't want to rev this thing to 7000 rpms. plus, a larger cam than this one may get awkward with a stock stall.