Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Patman oil question

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2003, 08:02 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Patman oil question

I attended the National Spring Nationals at Englishtown this weekend...

...Many of the top-fuel and funny car teams used Royal Purple....While watching them assemble the engines during rounds, I noticed that the oil was VERY thick (like STP consistency) and blue in color.

Question: Was the free case of oil you received from the Company blue in color? I thought Royal Purple would be purple in color.... What do you make of the thick oil; they run dry sump systems...

Oh, yeh Brendan Burnstein crashed and drove over the wall at mid-track at about 230pmh. Bazemore and Kolletta won in funny car and top fuel dragsters, respectively.
Old 05-19-2003, 11:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Patman oil question

The Royal Purple I used was indeed a dark purple color. I thought even their race oils were the same color but they could be closer to blue, or perhaps they aren't even using Royal Purple. You'd be surprised how many cars don't run the oils that are on the stickers on their cars.

From what I understand, top fuel cars use straight 70wt race oil, so if Royal Purple doesn't make that grade, chances are they aren't running Royal Purple.
Old 05-19-2003, 12:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even the teams that endorse it and have Royal Purple plastered on the side of their cars don't get their oil for free so you can rest assured that they ARE using it. And yes they do make a 70W and EVEN an 80W.
Old 05-19-2003, 12:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This stuff was BLUE; it was the color of windsheild washing fluid and was as thick as STP.

I saw several teams using it and all were sponsored by Royal Purple...the dry sump systems use several gallons; apparently, they use new oil every round!

Are you sure about the comment that these teams pay for their oil?

John Force's teams are sponsored by Castrol and I remember their oil - at least last year - was light brown and looked like a conventional weight... i did not see them work this year...

Can you ask your oil consultant if he has experience with the Blue Goo?