Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well boys...the heads and cam are in!!!

Old 07-31-2007, 11:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Well boys...the heads and cam are in!!!

I had my car torn apart for a week waiting for my heads and cam, and they finally came in last week. I spent a couple hours each week night and most of the weekend on the install. As some of you might have read, I had a little incident with a screwdriver breaking off and getting jammed in between the flex plate and the block. Anyway, I finnaly got the little f**ker out and proceeded. It rained most of the weekend, but every time it stopped, I was out there wrenchin trying to get it done. I finally finished up last night at around 9. Heres what I put in:
Texas Speed PRC stage 2.5 5.3L heads
Texas Speed 228R cam
Powerbond u/d pulley
Texas Speed spiral Flow true duals

Of course the first startup I had to leave the headers open My poor neighbors...they have a new baby and Im sure the little guy was trying to sleep. Anyway, she turned over fine...I let her idle for a few minutes, checked oil pressure and coolant temperature, then I shut it down for the night. Im gonna do the same thing tonight, then take it for a test drive. I installed my Yank SS3600 about 2 months ago and its tuned for the stall. Now my tuner and I gotta spend some time on the street with the new motor setup. I cant wait to see what this thing can do now Anyway, just thought Id post the good news. Later yall

Last edited by Raise; 07-31-2007 at 11:30 AM.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Raise
I had my car torn apart for a week waiting for my heads and cam, and they finally came in last week. I spent a couple hours each week night and most of the weekend on the install. As some of you might have read, I had a little incident with a screwdriver breaking off and getting jammed in between the flex plate and the block. Anyway, I finnaly got the little f**ker out and proceeded. It rained most of the weekend, but every time it stopped, I was out there wrenchin trying to get it done. I finally finished up last night at around 9. Heres what I put in:
Texas Speed PRC stage 2.5 5.3L heads
Texas Speed 228R cam
Powerbond u/d pulley
Texas Speed spiral Flow true duals

Of course the first startup I had to leave the headers open My poor neighbors...they have a new baby and Im sure the little guy was trying to sleep. Anyway, she turned over fine...I let her idle for a few minutes, checked oil pressure and coolant temperature, then I shut it down for the night. Im gonna do the same thing tonight, then take it for a test drive. I installed my Yank SS3600 about 2 months ago and its tuned for the stall. Now my tuner and I gotta spend some time on the street with the new motor setup. I cant wait to see what this thing can do now Anyway, just thought Id post the good news. Later yall
First off congrads on your new install should be a lot of power and fun!!!!
I just put almost the same set,
- Precision Race Components Stage 2.5 5.3L Heads Fully CNC Ported & Assembled With Stainless Steel 2.04" Intake Valves, 1.575" Exhaust Valves, & PRC Dual Valve Spring Kit with Titanium Retainers
- Texas Speed Torquer v.2 Camshaft the Texas Speed Torquer 2 232/234 .595/.598, 114.
-Texas Speed & Performance Chromemoly Pushrods
-TSP Ported LS6 Oil Pump
- Roll master Double-Roller Non-Adjustable Timing Set
- GM Replacement Lifters, LS7 style lifter
- FAST 90MM intake
- FAST 90mm Throttle body.
- Injectors SVO 30lbs.
- Basic Heads & Camshaft Gasket Kit.
-ARP head bolt kit.
- LS1 Powerbond underdrive pulley.
- And to top it all off a Yank 3600SS stall converter and a 2400 Tran cooler.
I getting it tuned on 7th Aug and can't wait to see my number!!! And I almost forget I started mine up for the first itme the other night and my neighbors were a little pissed off at me oh well!!
Old 07-31-2007, 12:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will be joining your crowd in a week or so. Glad to hear everything turned out ok
Old 07-31-2007, 02:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Congrats on the new setup. Im sure its good to have another H/C car. Havent talked to you in a while just wanted to let you know the SS is still running strong. I was also wondering if you could tell me the specs on the heads. Im thinking about getting a new cam and need to know the specs on the heads first.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:57 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 2QUIK4U
Congrats on the new setup. Im sure its good to have another H/C car. Havent talked to you in a while just wanted to let you know the SS is still running strong. I was also wondering if you could tell me the specs on the heads. Im thinking about getting a new cam and need to know the specs on the heads first.
sure man, no problem. i dont have your number anymore, can u give it to me? im glad to hear youre taking care of my baby ill call u later and we can talk.
Old 07-31-2007, 03:01 PM
TECH Addict

on another note, i tried to start the car today, and the thing turns over, but it just wont stay running. Ive had 2 ls1 h/c cars but they were both 6 speeds. they seemed to start, idle and run with very little problem before tuning, but this auto doesnt wanna stay running. i imagine that autos are a little more tempermental when it comes to h/c with no tune. my tuner will be coming by one weekend this month, but for now what should i do? i tried keeping my foot on the gas and i can keep it running like that, but the second i let off it dies. the car started fine last night and idled with no problem for like 10 minutes. however, when i gave it a little rev, the rpms dropped back down and it died. i really dont wanna drill a bigger hole in my throttle body, cuz i will be getting it tuned soon. any suggestions for keeping this thing running so i can go for a test drive?
Old 07-31-2007, 03:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My number is 804-869-5369. Also you might try turning up the idle screw slightly on the TB to compensate for the car cutting off.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:42 PM
TECH Addict

i could do that, as long as i remember to put it back when we tune it. ill call u tonight bro

damn bro, i just noticed...ur gonna be spraying that thing? nice by the way, if u ever decide to sell that car, i BETTER be the first person u call. id like to have an auto and a 6 speed
Old 07-31-2007, 04:45 PM
TECH Addict

oh yeah brian, by the way, the tea heads on the ss are stage 1.5 5.7l heads with 2.02/1.57 valves. im not sure what size the intake ports are. i didnt have them flowed and i dont remember the seller telling me anything. but the flow numbers are on tea's website. totalengine airflow.com
Old 07-31-2007, 04:45 PM
TECH Regular

congrats bro, if i ever get a H/C package i'm going back to va and straight to your house!
Old 07-31-2007, 04:47 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by The Professor
congrats bro, if i ever get a H/C package i'm going back to va and straight to your house!
anytime man, ill take care of u
Old 07-31-2007, 04:52 PM
TECH Resident

Congrats Rasie !! I should be doing my h/c install in a few weeks. Right now,my job have me working 12 hr nights / 7 days a week for the next 3 weeks !! At least I'll be able to put my money back that I spent on my Livernois Stg II & TSP 224 XE cam. I hope to see you at Richmond Dragway once you have her tuned .
Attached Thumbnails Well boys...the heads and cam are in!!!-20041106_006-1-.jpg  
Old 07-31-2007, 05:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just got the Nitrous. Havent installed it yet. I added the Fast 90/90 and got it tuned by Frost. It pulls alot harder now especially up top. It did 450rwhp on the dyno at PAS. I dont think I could bring myself to sell it but I will let you know if I decide to.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:49 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 2QUIK4U
I just got the Nitrous. Havent installed it yet. I added the Fast 90/90 and got it tuned by Frost. It pulls alot harder now especially up top. It did 450rwhp on the dyno at PAS. I dont think I could bring myself to sell it but I will let you know if I decide to.
u should have talked ME out of selling it
Old 07-31-2007, 05:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Congrats and good to hear you got the screwdriver problem resolved. I am almost finished with a h/c swap right now also and should have mine running soon.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Raise
u should have talked ME out of selling it

Yeah but if I had done that I wouldnt have gotten to enjoy it. I knew you would get another one even though you said you were going to wait awhile.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

this is the exact setup i want to run when i get some money one day..but i might opt for some stock 243 castings with a lil millin to get the static right...i really cant wait to see what she does on the dyno and track..

what rpm are you goin to be shifting at? i want to keep mine about stock so that the tranny will last but if it craps out i will be getin a th350

im watchin this one!
Old 07-31-2007, 10:35 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by slimcracka
this is the exact setup i want to run when i get some money one day..but i might opt for some stock 243 castings with a lil millin to get the static right...i really cant wait to see what she does on the dyno and track..

what rpm are you goin to be shifting at? i want to keep mine about stock so that the tranny will last but if it craps out i will be getin a th350

im watchin this one!
i thought about the 243 heads, but i wanted the smaller intake ports for good street torque. i was thinking of having the 5.3s milled as well, but i figured with the cam, it would be a perfect match. and i cant wait to see how they will compliment my Yank SS3600, cuz that is the heart of my car

as far as shifting, ill be keeping my shift points about the same....i might raise the rev limiter a bit, but i dont wanna shift much higher than 6k with the stock tranny. i have my converter tuned to only lock in OD, so 3rd gear is very very fun on the street

glad to hear u r going with the same setup. good luck to u man

going back to earlier, i set the tb screw to where im idling at around 850-900, so ill be driving like this til my tuner comes by. i just went for a test drive tonight and it feels very nice. i didnt get on it yet of course, but its kinda weird coming to a stop, cuz with the high idle, it wants to jump off the line with my foot on the brake. anyway, i should have a video up in a few days. i still gotta put the true duals on...that will be done tomorrow night. thanks for chiming in yall..............later
Old 07-31-2007, 10:40 PM
bsf
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I just started my car up tonight also. Feels good. Congratulations.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:54 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bsf
I just started my car up tonight also. Feels good. Congratulations.
thanks brutha i just replied to your thread too

Search this Thread