Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam and Headers on 99' t/a

Old 08-01-2007, 09:36 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cam and Headers on 99' t/a

Hey guys. I have a 1999 t/a with SLP catback and induction. I want to get a cam and headers but I can't afford to get them together. Which do you think I should get first? Also, I was thinking about American Racing Headers and a cam by LG Motorsports...the G5X2(232/240/114), how does that sound? What cam should I get if I want my (Sunday)car to be streetable, yet ROMP at the Drag strip? So many questions.Thanks.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:39 AM
TECH Resident

Your engine needs to breath, headers first. Then do plenty of research before you hit the cam shelf (at least that's what i'm doing now). As far as streetable goes, anywhere from 220-230ish seems to be pretty popular, try not to go too much bigger if you're just lookin' for street. But like a said, study up and ask local shops what tailors best to your setup

PS, headers first
Old 08-01-2007, 10:32 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by t/a-Donnie
Hey guys. I have a 1999 t/a with SLP catback and induction. I want to get a cam and headers but I can't afford to get them together. Which do you think I should get first? Also, I was thinking about American Racing Headers and a cam by LG Motorsports...the G5X2(232/240/114), how does that sound? What cam should I get if I want my (Sunday)car to be streetable, yet ROMP at the Drag strip? So many questions.Thanks.
Welllllllll....
Do the headers first. Your talking about affordability and expensive headers and cam though in the same sentence and it doesnt work.

If you want affordable you get pacesetters and a used cam. $450 for a cam is top of the scale.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:44 AM
Staging Lane

To: 99blancoSS...Thanks for the advice, but don't get me wrong. I can't afford it right now, but will be able to shortly. I just wanted to know which to do first. Also, I've been asking around and I've heard that as far as headers and cam, these are the way to go. You know, we(car guys) don't want anything but the best. lol. P.S. Nice SS.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:50 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont have any experience with the ARH's but I hear they are top quality. Of course I'm partial to my Kooks but I do hear real good things about them so it should be a good choice. It's a good proven cam as well. You'll want to swap out your ls1 intake when you get a chance as well, it will make a big difference with the cam.

Search this Thread