Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC need to come out to do cam swap?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 03:39 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC need to come out to do cam swap?

its hottttt out. i took off my ac lines when i did header change. i want to go get it charged. but i am about to do cam swap in a month or so. will i have to take any lines out for Air conditioning when i do springs retainers and cam swap.???
Old 08-02-2007, 04:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Generally yes. The radiator and AC unit in front need to be removed to get the old cam out and new one in.

If your AC system has been opened, you really should have your AC drier changed (e.g, the silver tin can with the black hoses). After drier replacement, the system should be vacuumed down for a few hours and only then should it be recharged with freon.

I have a vacuum pump that I bought for $300 but most AC shops have these. Don't go to a hack who merely re-fills the system with freon.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:13 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I only disconnected it from the front to remove the raditor & then used a Autozone recharge kit for $30 to refill it & it blows colder now than before. Very easy to do & cheap. You don't need to remove everything & you certainly don't need a $300 tool to recharge it.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:58 PM
TECH Addict

you can rent the vacuum pump from vautozone. any time the system is opened you allow moisture into the system. the vacuum pump will take the moisture out. some people dont do this and are lucky, how is your luck?
Old 08-02-2007, 05:03 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pretty good I guess. I haven't had a issue & I just bought the cheap cans of recharge with a gauge on it & followed the directions.

It's working perfect so far. No funny smells & it gets cold quick.

I also ended up with a quieter valvatrain than stock after a set of heads, cam, 7.4 pushrods, stock rockers & Partiot Gold dual springs. No sewing machine for me so I guess my luck is pretty good with the LS1 so far. Every mods has worked perfectly. Hell even my LT's went in without a fight.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:20 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
Well I only disconnected it from the front to remove the raditor & then used a Autozone recharge kit for $30 to refill it & it blows colder now than before. Very easy to do & cheap. You don't need to remove everything & you certainly don't need a $300 tool to recharge it.
If you didn't evacuate your system with a vacuum pump, you are asking for trouble down the line. You will have air and moisture in your system which will cause corrosion which will cause leaks. Have you priced an evaporator replacement? The air will also cause air bubles where there is supposed to be liquid freon, reducing efficiency and increasing head pressure which will lead to premature compressor failure - if the corrosion doesn't get it first.

Recharging a system without vacuuming the air out is a bad idea. Yes, it will work, but it will cause problems eventually.
Old 08-02-2007, 06:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

You guys are crazy, I've installed 4 cams and never touched the AC system. My latest project was to install a 408 through the top with heads and dampener on and didn't touch the AC.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:15 PM
Launching!

Just did heads/cam swap and never opened the A/C system. All you have to do is lift up the condenser enough for the cam to clear. It was pretty easy if you ask me.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You only need to lift the AC condensor out of the way, you don't need to open the AC system for a cam swap.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:20 AM
12 Second Club

thnks guys. is it easy to use the vacum you rent from autozone? is that the only thing you need to do before recharge it with freon?
Old 08-03-2007, 08:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
You only need to lift the AC condensor out of the way, you don't need to open the AC system for a cam swap.
Old 08-03-2007, 08:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=92475

$10 at harbor freight.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:11 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 99DWPTA
thnks guys. is it easy to use the vacum you rent from autozone? is that the only thing you need to do before recharge it with freon?
I haven't seen one from AutoZone, but most vacuum pumps have Schrader fittings, which are different from what is on the car. Normally the vacuum pump hooks up to a gauge set and the hoses from the gauges hook up to the system. If you don't have a gauge set, you're going to need some fittings and a hose to hook up the pump. Not a really big deal but I wanted you to know that you will need something to hook the pump to the system.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:12 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

First of all take it somewhere to get it recharged, doesnt cost all that much and its worth gettng done right over taking the cheapo way out.

Second... you dont need to open the ac to do a cam swap but you do hve to move it out of the way. You'll bend the tube a little and they take it just fine for the first 3 times or so but on the 4th time one line will break...

If I were going to do a swap for someone I would tell them it's thier choice. Disconnect the line or take the chance it might break. Most likely wont break for the first time or two
Old 08-03-2007, 04:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
First of all take it somewhere to get it recharged, doesnt cost all that much and its worth gettng done right over taking the cheapo way out.

Second... you dont need to open the ac to do a cam swap but you do hve to move it out of the way. You'll bend the tube a little and they take it just fine for the first 3 times or so but on the 4th time one line will break...

If I were going to do a swap for someone I would tell them it's thier choice. Disconnect the line or take the chance it might break. Most likely wont break for the first time or two
yeah ive had one break....just have to be nice with it and not bend it too crazy.
Old 08-04-2007, 08:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i never removed mine either with my cam swap.