Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Houston, we have a problem!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 03:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Houston, we have a problem!!!!

Well I am in the middle of a heads cam swap and I have the cam in. I put on the Rollmaster Double timing chain and gears and a Melling m295 oil pump. Something didn't seem right and after I got it all together, I figured i'd give the crank a turn to make sure nothing was hitting.

Well, it's hitting . I used the spacers like instructed to. Its hitting the chain on where it goes to the pickup. I took the oil pump back off and there is a nice gash in it. Has anyone had a similar problem and knows how to fix this? I'm pissed and just put everything up. Any help would be appreciated. I have to get this done by the Wednesday....
Old 08-11-2007, 03:43 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea, you have to grind the rear of the pump to clear the chain, and you have to grind the front cover on the oil pump to get the timing chain cover on. I had to grind the timing cover and the cover to the oil pump to get my set up to clear. The double roller chain and melling pump IS NOT A BOLT ON. It will require some modifications to fit as the added width of the double chain and the thicker gears on the oil pump cause fittiment issues.
Old 08-11-2007, 03:45 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 98Camarod
Well I am in the middle of a heads cam swap and I have the cam in. I put on the Rollmaster Double timing chain and gears and a Melling m295 oil pump. Something didn't seem right and after I got it all together, I figured i'd give the crank a turn to make sure nothing was hitting.

Well, it's hitting . I used the spacers like instructed to. Its hitting the chain on where it goes to the pickup. I took the oil pump back off and there is a nice gash in it. Has anyone had a similar problem and knows how to fix this? I'm pissed and just put everything up. Any help would be appreciated. I have to get this done by the Wednesday....
yeah the last motor i just worked on, i used a melling #10296 pump, with a jp performance double roller timing set, and it did hit. i had to clearance the oil pump housing a little. i think melling might have changed there castings a little bit, because this was the first time i had to clearance one of there pumps for a dbl. rllr chain.
Old 08-11-2007, 03:51 PM
11 Second Club

Ok, so if I give it a little notch on the back of the oil pump with my dremel I should be good then? I wish I would have known this before I put that bitch on. You said you had to grind the front of the oil pump and timing cover, is there any way you can show or tell me where to grind it down at. I appreciate the quick responses!
Old 08-11-2007, 04:45 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It is had to tell exactually. What I do is use a sharpe or something to mark on areas that stick out and see where it is touching.
Old 08-11-2007, 04:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Simple, dump the double roller and get the LS2 chain. The double roller is huge overkill for most applications.
Old 08-11-2007, 05:03 PM
11 Second Club

Well, considering I already have the double roller and its paid for, its not that simple. Not everyone has unlimited funds.

As for the oil pump, I know where its hitting on the back, but I dont really see it being a problem on the front. I guess I wont clean the inside of the cover until after I put it on and then take it off so I'll know where its hitting.
Old 08-11-2007, 05:08 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Six Speeds Inc.
It is had to tell exactually. What I do is use a sharpe or something to mark on areas that stick out and see where it is touching.
silly puddy will work good to.
Old 08-12-2007, 06:41 PM
11 Second Club

Well, it looks like I am going to have to eat the double roller and get a single. This **** got on my nerves. I spend probably two hours ******* with it and it still didn't work. Melling m295 and the double roller does not have my vote. Atleast I got my heads on today.