Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flashing SES light after h/c install

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 09:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Flashing SES light after h/c install

First of all, the car was tuned last night. I just installed heads and cam a few weeks ago. I only get the flashing ses light at idle, then it goes away when i start accelerating. I got a P0300 code which is "random/multiple misfire," but we tuned it out. I checked to make sure the plug wires were on tight. I even switched out my o2 sensors with a spare set I have to see if that was the cause....same thing. Im also still getting a little cam surge when crusing at very low speeds (5-10 mph) and when coming to a stop at a light. My tuner checked everything and he cant figure out the flashing ses light and the cam surging. Any ideas fellas??
Old 08-12-2007, 09:35 PM
12 Second Club

I would check the tune a bit. I'm not 100% but would you really wanna tune out the p0300 code? I would think I would want that code to show up when it needs to. Although it seems to be a popular code to throw when a cam is put it. Alot of times I hear not having enough vacuum after a cam install will toss this code.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:40 PM
Launching!

man i have the same problem. i haven't taken it back to the tuner yet so i dont know what code its throwing, but the SES light stays on for 10 minutes and stays off until i turn the engine off. car drives fine, no surging. hopefully someone can chime in at what it could be.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:41 PM
TECH Junkie

you are having a missfire- hence you need new plugs, and should do wires while you are in there.

Look into some NGK tr55's
Old 08-12-2007, 10:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'll chime in only because I had a flashing SES light, different reason I think. After my header install I had one disconnected plug wire when I first started it up and had the flashing SES. Maybe a cracked plug or bad plug wire in your case...
Old 08-13-2007, 07:05 AM
TECH Addict

well i replaced my plugs a few months ago with ngk tr55s. i only drove the car with the h/c and no tune for like a week. anyway, i will change the plugs and wires and see what happens then. i was just wondering if there was another reason for a flashing ses light. my ss did this after h/c because the computer thought the motor was misfiring cuz of the cam, but it really wasnt. i thought it was the same thing this, but my tuner checked that. i dunno....
Old 08-13-2007, 10:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Check your injectors are plugged in and you have no vacuum leaks. Like, in the back of the intake. Check the vacuum. You should have about 15-18"
Old 08-13-2007, 11:15 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Whos your tuner? He dont know what the f**k hes doin if he cant cure a blinking SES light after a cam install. I'm in Va Beach. Shoot me a PM and I'll cure it no charge!

Last edited by edcmat-l1; 08-13-2007 at 11:38 AM.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:37 PM
TECH Addict

Fixed and running great!!! Thanks a million Ed. Ill be sure to post good **** about you on here
Old 08-13-2007, 02:41 PM
On The Tree

Mine did the same thing, and I tried setting P0300 to "not report" and also setting that code to "no MIL"...and despite that, the light still flashed when idling (and only when idling).

What I ended up doing was setting the "misfire detection minimum RPM" to 1200rpm (stock setting for my C5 was 650rpm).
My car idles at 900, so by setting that, the (false) misfire is no longer monitored at idle speed, and thus, won't set off the flashiing MIL. Since doing that, I restored the P0300 code back to reporting as it was stock, and no problems and no MIL from false misfire due to the cam lope.

I use EFI-Live, the names of the parameters may be different in other software.

Old 08-13-2007, 03:07 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Raise
Fixed and running great!!! Thanks a million Ed. Ill be sure to post good **** about you on here
Is the TC lock up working right?
Old 08-13-2007, 04:02 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
Is the TC lock up working right?
well, it locked up fine twice on the way home, and it never unlocked all the way home on the interstate. it seems to be working great!! now, i do want to mention....my converter is tuned to NOT lock up in 3rd, which is how i want it. also, like i told u, sometimes the converter takes a minute to lock up in OD. i have pinpointed when this happens. it seems that this happens when i stay in 3rd til after 45, which is around the mph parameter for the converter to lock up. on the way home, i shifted into OD at around 40 mph, then at 43-45 mph the converter locked up just like stock. OR, when i start in OD it will lock up immediately when i hit 43-45 mph. it seems a little tempermental when i pass the lock up mph while still in 3rd...then when i finally shift into Od, it seems like its waiting for some very precise parameters before it will lock up....(for example: throttle position, mph, fluid pressure, etc) im not sure about the parameters, but id sure like to have it consistent. me and my tuner are gonna fool around with that some more, plus some light surging that i still get when coming to a stop...but for now thanks for the help fellas. and a great big THANKS to you Ed, I appreciate all your help