Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who has an ARE 436ci stroker motor?????????????

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2003, 02:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who has an ARE 436ci stroker motor?????????????

I posted with someone who lives in Cali with one, it's in his Vette. I need to find him or anyone with an ARE 436.

Thanks
Old 05-25-2003, 10:48 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Default Re: Who has an ARE 436ci stroker motor?????????????

I have one. It's a solid roller. See my website.

Mikey
Old 05-25-2003, 05:36 PM
TECH Veteran

I have one. It's a solid roller. See my website.

Mikey
"Mikey",
You posted to my thread about having an ARE 436. I've had mine now since February and it was just re-tuned by Ed Wright 3 weeks ago. Since then, I get loud pinging/marbles sound in the engine bay at WOT, very loud. It also shows 11 degrees of KR under 2,400 rpm and no more than 15% throttle position. I don't know if it's the tune or if the motor has a problem. It has 11.1 compression and I'm using 93 octane gas. It was running just fine before the tune. Ed Wright swares he tuned it perfectly through mail order method. I have a friend that can redo my tune with LS1 Edit but I wanted to get some advice from someone who had one. Seeing how you are one of the best performance guys around I feel lucky to be able to ask you this. Also, the motor only dynoed 467 RWHP through an FLP IV, A4, with 3:73 gears and a Vig 3600. That seemed very low to me, I was sure it would go 500+ RWHP, thats why I bought that motor.
The motor is also burning allot of oil to, 1.5 qrts in 320 miles of driving last time I checked it against mileage.
I'm having a compression and leakdown check done this week to see if the rings are bad or damamged.

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Lyle
Old 05-25-2003, 05:43 PM
7 Second Club

Ed Wrong tuning can be good at times and way off at other times.Dont trust the mail-order tune he does,get it tuned properly on a dyno.As far as oil burning I dont know. Please keep us posted.
Old 05-25-2003, 06:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

For the oil, do you have a PCV catch can or a LS6 lower valley cover? did you take a peek into the intake to see if oil was there?
Old 05-25-2003, 06:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If it was fine before and bad now, chances are the edwrong messed it up. Find a local tuner that has has a dyno and wide band and don't screw around with it. You have a big investment in that motor, and would be crazy to risk it on a mail order tuner that knows nothing about it.

Call Wade at ARE and seek his advice, but don't drive it around in that condition unless you want to melt it down.

I wouldn't trust Ed to tune numbers into my cell phone after the original 4 tune f$%ck up he did that resulted in a grenaded motor. I won't go into his delays, excuses and holier than thou attitude here.

Paul
Old 05-25-2003, 07:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Thats the thing, nothing at all was wrong before this last tune, it ran perfectly smooth at all rpm's. I'll do the comp and leakdown checks as Barry (ARE) told me to. If it shows nothing is wrong, what else should I check before I look into the tune? Is there a way to find out if pistons have been damaged without tearing the motor down?
I'm the furthest thing from an expert at any of this so I hope the questions aren't stupid.

Thanks
Old 05-25-2003, 07:07 PM
TECH Veteran

For the oil, do you have a PCV catch can or a LS6 lower valley cover? did you take a peek into the intake to see if oil was there?
How do I check that?
Just take the lid off and look through the TB?????

Someone did mention the PCV can and valley cover, where do I get those pieces?
Old 05-25-2003, 07:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Mail order tuning is never quite as good as custom tuning, sometimes it is waaayyy off. Do yourself a favor and spend the money to have it LS-1 edited on a dyno with wideband. You have too much invested not to.
Old 05-25-2003, 08:49 PM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I know several people including myself that know for a FACT my knock sensors were de-sensitized to the point they were useless and my car was detonating like crazy and it was not showing up on any scan tool.. I honestly believe that my last motor went because of two things.. The head porter lied about how much he milled off and my compression was WAY up there and Ed had my knock sensors almost turned off... I never saw any KR on any tools, but there was a hole in my piston the size of a quarter.. I couldn't even use my shortblock for a rebuild because the walls of the cylinder were so damaged I would have had to go bigger to use that shortblock. Well that is what the tuner that built my current shortblock told me anyway.. My point is.. Ed Wright can have it dead on or dead off.. I would not take a chance with mail order tuning ever again.. When I asked Ed about the knock sensors being desensitized to the point they were useless he said "I would never do that.. That would be unethical." So I asked him to send me another pcm so I could compare the two and he refused and said he would only work with me if I sent my current pcm back to him.. Before the motor went I think I had paid over a grand in dyno sessions trying to figure out what was wrong with the car and we had a tech II on it the entire time. Once Ed returned my pcm back to me post new shortblock and reworked heads we finally saw some KR.... Go figure...
Old 05-25-2003, 09:34 PM
TECH Veteran

I know several people including myself that know for a FACT my knock sensors were de-sensitized to the point they were useless and my car was detonating like crazy and it was not showing up on any scan tool.. I honestly believe that my last motor went because of two things.. The head porter lied about how much he milled off and my compression was WAY up there and Ed had my knock sensors almost turned off... I never saw any KR on any tools, but there was a hole in my piston the size of a quarter.. I couldn't even use my shortblock for a rebuild because the walls of the cylinder were so damaged I would have had to go bigger to use that shortblock. Well that is what the tuner that built my current shortblock told me anyway.. My point is.. Ed Wright can have it dead on or dead off.. I would not take a chance with mail order tuning ever again.. When I asked Ed about the knock sensors being desensitized to the point they were useless he said "I would never do that.. That would be unethical." So I asked him to send me another pcm so I could compare the two and he refused and said he would only work with me if I sent my current pcm back to him.. Before the motor went I think I had paid over a grand in dyno sessions trying to figure out what was wrong with the car and we had a tech II on it the entire time. Once Ed returned my pcm back to me post new shortblock and reworked heads we finally saw some KR.... Go figure...
The guy who ATAPed my car thought it might be a misfire at WOT. When he checked it nothing at all showed up for misfires. He said even on a perfect motor ATAP will pick something up at WOT. I asked Ed if he turned it off, he said he backed it off a little so they wouldn't show up as much because of my large cam.
Old 05-25-2003, 10:34 PM
TECH Addict

I don't have a 436, but have personally witnessed a few get tuned on the dyno. For example, one car, which had a 427 stroker, dynoed a base of 47X rwhp with an Ed Wright tune. After a REAL edit tuning on the dyno, it pushed over 510. I agree with the others. You spent all that money on a 436, now drop a couple more dimes and get a good tune for it. I would not trust mail order tuning for a second.
Old 05-25-2003, 10:38 PM
TECH Veteran

I don't have a 436, but have personally witnessed a few get tuned on the dyno. For example, one car, which had a 427 stroker, dynoed a base of 47X rwhp with an Ed Wright tune. After a REAL edit tuning on the dyno, it pushed over 510. I agree with the others. You spent all that money on a 436, now drop a couple more dimes and get a good tune for it. I would not trust mail order tuning for a second.
Was that an M6 or A4 that dynoed 510?

I wouldn't mind an extra 30-40 RWHP.
Old 05-26-2003, 12:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Don't want to bum you out further but last i knew when ed did my h/c mail order pcm he locks his pcms and changes the tables around and you will not be able to use ls1 edit without major problems and will have to reflash your pcm back to stock and start over with ls1 edit.

I had major problems with shift points on my A4 after attemtping to change ed's program via ls1 edit. Best of luck to you.

Old 05-26-2003, 12:23 AM
TECH Veteran

Don't want to bum you out further but last i knew when ed did my h/c mail order pcm he locks his pcms and changes the tables around and you will not be able to use ls1 edit without major problems and will have to reflash your pcm back to stock and start over with ls1 edit.

I had major problems with shift points on my A4 after attemtping to change ed's program via ls1 edit. Best of luck to you.

If everything shows to be in perfect order with the motor, then it's obviously the tune, since it started immediately after the re-tune. I do have to check everything possible first, then I can say the tune is bad.
So many people with bad mail order tunes, it looks like it may be another one.
Old 05-26-2003, 12:27 AM
TECH Veteran

See, you pulled 4 RWHP and 28 RWTQ more than me with a little bit smaller motor but both use the same exact tranny and gears. What cam specs do you have? What compression?
This tells me my tune is off. Seems simple.
Old 05-26-2003, 01:13 AM
TECH Addict

It was an M6 car, but hey, it was a 40 rwhp gain, just with better tuning.
Old 05-26-2003, 01:46 AM
TECH Veteran

It was an M6 car, but hey, it was a 40 rwhp gain, just with better tuning.
Sweet, 40 more would put me at 510 in my A4 Can you say 10's?
I just hope I can get half that, I'd be happy with 20 more.

Thanks
Old 05-26-2003, 07:07 AM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I would get ls1edit done. Have the pcm reflashed for 60 bucks and start over.. Its not worth chancing a real issue.. I trusted a head porter and Ed Wright with giving me the correct information. My trust was misplaced and I ended up spending enough money to buy a 397ci long block, but ended up with a 346ci shortblock with forged pistons, ARP bolts, and stock rods..
Old 05-26-2003, 11:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

How do I check that?
Just take the lid off and look through the TB?????

Someone did mention the PCV can and valley cover, where do I get those pieces?
Yeah just look into the intake with a flash light. And if you are bored take off the TB to get a better look. Also a LS6 lower valley cover can be orderd and it will be about $65. The GM part number for the lower valley is GMPN 12568002, and the plug which is needed is GMPN 12568011. My friend did that and he doesnt have any more oil issues. I havent done this mod yet because I havent had the time. Also you have to cut a chunk off of the block. its no big deal, just hope that you have a dremel or a grinder to get the job done.

Quick Reply: Who has an ARE 436ci stroker motor?????????????