Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changes for more power

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 10:36 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Experienced help...

Well, I’m trying to set up the direction that I want to go with the car. The car is a lot of fun currently, but I want to get a little more out of it and still have a dependable, streetable car. I’m wanting a car that is going to have a lot of low end and mid range power, so I’m not interested in the T-Rex or Magic stick cams. I do a little drag racing, but I’m mostly on the street. Also, I really don’t do any full pedal down, rev limiter blasts on the street either. But I do love a good pull from a red light or a blast to speed on an entrance ramp to the interstate.

My current goal is 450hp. Given, I just described that I’m “not after peak HP,” I still would like to set a goal that will have an curve that will support my needs. These are all the mods that I could think of that add power, not including the free mods.

Suncoast Creations Raptor ram air hood
Suncoast Creations ram air induction kit
SLP 2-speed fan switch
Bo White Performance ported throttle body
LS6 intake manifold
MTI T1 cam (Lunati grind, 221/221 .558/.558 112 LSA +4)
Comp Cams blue stripe 918 valvesprings and TSP hardened pushrods
MSD 8.5mm spark plug wires and Optima red top
Pacesetter race style long tube headers
TSP Rumbler X (ORX pipe, Moroso Spiral Flow mufflers, dumped at rear axle)
Built T56 conversion w C6 LS7 clutch and flywheel
T56 rear end swap with 3.73 gears and TA Performance rear end girdle
18x9.5 w 295/35 BFG DRs (R)
Harlan shiftlight (red lit, 6300rpm set for a ~6400rpm shift point)
CamTom12 HPTuners dyno tuning

The car was Dynoed with a similar set up except that it had 3.42 gears at the time. The car was able to get out 375rwhp/365rwtq

So obviously I’ll dyno even lower now that I have the 3.73’s. To make this even more difficult for me, I’m planning on upgrading my rear to at least a 12 bolt with 4.11’s. Possibly a 9” with an aluminum center section. Now that I’ve described what I got, let me give you my ideas to see if I’m on the right track to get my desired power. And remember, I’m still on a budget, and I’m trying to place the money where I think it would do the most good.

The places that I’m looking for power are the obvious areas. Heads, cam, intake manifold and TB, and injectors.

Heads:
I’m looking at Texas Speed and Performance’s PRC LS6 CNC machined heads. The Stage 1 heads come with 2.00 1.55 valves and have the flow ratings of.
Valve Lift Intake
.100" 72
.200" 149
.300" 205
.400" 255
.500" 287
.600" 307
.625" 310

Or if needed the stage 2.5 heads that upgrade to
• 2.04"/1.575" Stainless Steel Valves
• PRC Double Spring Kit Complete With
Springs, Titanium Retainers, Seats, & Seals
Camshaft:
Currently my first pick of camshaft is a custom grind comp cam. 228/232, .588/.595 110+1.
I’m definitely open to opinions on this set up and suggestions are definitely welcome.

Intake manifold and TB:
Fast 90mm manifold with a Nick Williams TB looks to be a proven combination. I’ve gotten a lot of advice to NOT use the FAST TB and I haven’t found anybody having any trouble with the NW. As long as this is a good combo, will I need to port the manifold, or will it just be overkill in my situation. Patrick G swears by Tony Mamo @ AFR in his sticky on the “recipe for 500 hp” for the porting work on his manifold. If it’s good enough for Pat G it’s def good enough for me!

Injectors:
I’m pretty clueless here. I know that F-bodies start reaching 100% duty cycle around 450rwhp, so I’m asking for advice. I want something that’s not going to be a bear to tune and won’t stumble on its face during idle and part throttle. The SVO 30’s seem to be a popular choice for stock cube mild cam applications. Is this a good starting point, and will my stock pump be ok.

Other things I need to address are the springs, pushrod length, gasket, and compression.

Finally, after I get the engine built with these new additions, I’m planning on using a Nitrous Outlet Plate system for a 150 shot for the track days. But only if this will work with my planned set up.

Thanks to the people that stuck it out through my long write up and I appreciate any help you might have to offer. Be harsh and set me in the right direction. I’d rather wait and save a little longer and do it right the first time then have to it over and over again the wrong way.

Last edited by K99Raptor; 08-21-2007 at 06:54 PM. Reason: new title
Old 08-21-2007, 06:58 PM
Staging Lane

Any help?
Old 08-22-2007, 02:39 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

42lb injectors in the event you go nitrous.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

More cubes with a smaller cam (small relative to cubes) is always a good idea. That way you wont have to do anythng overly aggressive and still has something reliable.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:43 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're going to want a bigger cam than the T1 you listed!
Old 08-22-2007, 05:20 PM
Staging Lane

You're going to want a bigger cam than the T1 you listed!
I think thats what he already has.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:27 AM
Staging Lane

Sorry guys, I had given up on this post. lol.

Viper, should I just go with some RC injectors then. I heard that the svo 30's are equivalent to our 42lbs sizes. So would those work or should I step it up a bit?

Stevie, yeah Robs right, I already have the T1 cam installed. While it's definately a good small cam with a great sound, I'm looking for more. 375hp feels slow now.

Donaimian,
You're right on track with my future goals, but I'm wanting to try and get the most out of the 346 that I can and still be streetable. I can tolerate a good bit, I just don't want to be fighting cam surge all the way down the street at part throttle. I'm wanting to use this engine until the bottom end fails then rebuild it for another vehicle like an RX7. I'm hoping by the time that happens, I'll have the money to do a 408 iron block with a turbo for the T/A. or maybe just a high compression 427.

After talking with some people on a local board and doing more research, I'm thinking about spending a little extra and going with some help from Vegeance racing. They seem to be making a lot of power out of their Trick Flow heads and Cams combo's. Also, they're making a great power curve that I think might fit my needs. Do you think this is a good idea, or should I stick with the ported ls6 heads and cam designed by patrick G and Predator Z?
Old 08-24-2007, 09:32 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would go with SVO 42lb injectors, plenty of room and easy to tune.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:45 AM
TECH Addict

the 30 lbers would work great but if you plan on more cubes later down the road i'd go ahead and get either the 42 lb svo or lucas/delphi injectors. as for the 450 rwhp you may fall alittle short with a 228/232 cam. i made 436 with a 228r and tea stage 1heads but i had11:7 scr and stock rear also. something like a t2 (232/234) or t3 on a 110 should get you close and shouldn't have to be revved to the moon to get there. as long as you get your scr/dcr up there you should come very close to your goals.
just my $.02