Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MSD Coil Packs

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 12:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MSD Coil Packs

I have a 99 Z28 that needed a little work when i got it. I had to put in new headers exhaust fuel pump with new hose (my addition) and coil packs. I went with the msd coil packs because i wasnt going to pay the dealership for an overcharged item. well i was wondering of yall out there using them, i seem to be getting an misfire detection pretty much alot of the time. i had found out that one of the coil packs went out on me and i replaced it. well now its happening again. i was wondering if these coil packs have a tendency to fail and i should bite the bullet and go back with stock packs, or if theres a tuning thing i can do, i have hp tuners, that can settle them down and work right, or if theres a control box yall are using. any ideas would be welcome.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

stock is more than adequate...the MSDs were a waste in the first place....at least for anything shy of the nastiest buildups.

swap around the coils...if the misfire follows the swap...its the coil

otherwise its something else.

try the same with the injector
Old 08-31-2007, 12:55 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MSD packs are a waste unless your over the power capacity of the stock units. The stockers are plenty to carry a car into the 9's if that gives you an idea.

I'd either buy a new set of stockers or a used set off the board here. MSD just got alot of people with their marketing for those, kinda like SLP.