Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cam/valve spring break in and drving without a tune

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 03:38 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default cam/valve spring break in and drving without a tune

so I just finished my cam install (lg5x3 and comp 921's) and was wondering what I have to do to break-in the valve springs? I've heard you need to let them warm up and then cool down overnight so that they harden. Is this true?

Also my tuner wont be available right away and I will have to drive the car for a few weeks and then 2 hours to his place for the tune. Im not sure I can wait to long to romp on it alittle. How should limit my driving until the tune? I doubt I want to run to redline but I would like to know more.

Also is it ok to run mobil one 5w30 for the first 250ish miles for break in?

Thanks in advance guys. I tried a search but didnt see anything relivent.
Old 09-01-2007, 10:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Heat cycles not really required, but I like to drive the car a few times to make sure everything is OK before putting it on the dyno. Oil you are using is fine. If the cam is on a 112, have to watch for messing up the plugs prior to the tune if you drive it too much. I also wouldn't romp it too much since you don't know where your AFR is and too lean could be an issue.
Old 09-01-2007, 01:46 PM
Launching!

thanks vettenuts.

anyone else have input on this subject?
Old 09-01-2007, 01:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had my car tuned a week after installation. I drove it a few hours each day and didn't floor it ONCE. And it's a good thing, because the minute my tuner started to tune it, at WOT the AFR was around 14 It may require ever bit of patience that you have, but I'd wait it out. Even if you just drive it around the block a few times a day for ~20 minutes, it's better than giving in and worse case scenario messing something up. Now that I just read what the guy above you wrote, I'm more or less reiterating what he said

-J
Old 09-01-2007, 02:03 PM
12 Second Club

I drove the car with out a tune for 2 months and put prolly about 2-3k on it like that...then i got a mail order tune and have been running it like that for the past 8 months......I also didnt break it in, I was off the limiter about 2 minutes after the first startup...lol....raced it that next night.
Old 09-01-2007, 03:47 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by GT Griller
I drove the car with out a tune for 2 months and put prolly about 2-3k on it like that...then i got a mail order tune and have been running it like that for the past 8 months......I also didnt break it in, I was off the limiter about 2 minutes after the first startup...lol....raced it that next night.
you also have alot smaller cam
Old 09-01-2007, 04:59 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by bad6as
you also have alot smaller cam
This is true but as far as cam lift to spring rating we are about the same.....but no doubt it is easier to drive on a smaller cam.