Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ4 & L92 heads = 500 hp?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 03:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LQ4 & L92 heads = 500 hp?

Hi guys, not sure exactly where to put this because I don't know whether the LQ4/9 is a Gen III/IV engine, so feel free to move this if it's in the wrong forum.

Anyway, I've got a lead on an LQ4 from an 02 Silverado for around $1300. A few months ago, Car Craft took an LQ4 and put a bigger cam in it and carb'd it and got 483 hp. Then added L92 heads and got 551 hp out of it. I was originally going to copy their build because this is going in a 69 Nova, but I went up to my friend's house (he lives 5500 feet up a mountain) and my car ran like pure crap. It was almost impossible to keep it running. So I've decided to ditch the carb and stick with the fuel injection. Only thing is, I have no clue what I'd need as far as a cam and intake setup or what software I'd need to tune the thing.

It's going in a 69 Nova with a TKO-600 (.64 5th gear) and 3.42 rear gears. The only reason I want to stick with the TKO is because it has around 4000 miles on it. If I can find a deal on a T56 and find someone who wants the TKO, I wouldn't mind switching.

The only thing I know is that with the L92 heads, I'd need an L76 intake, and the truck water pump is right in the way of the throttle body. Is there any other intake I can use, or do I have to get a complete accessory drive system?

I can't think of anything else, but if you guys need any more info, just ask.

EDIT: I forgot to say, I'm looking to get 500 to 550 hp out of this build, and the car is going to be used for autocross type stuff, as well as a daily driver. I don't mind a lopey cam, though, if that's what it takes.

Thanks,
Matt
Old 09-03-2007, 08:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Best thing to do would be to swap to the Camaro water pump, but I don't know if that would cause other clearance problems with the truck accessory system. That I know of, that's the only intake you can use.

Depending on your goals for drivability. A cam in the 228 range would put you at least at the lower end of your power goal (at the flywheel).
Old 09-03-2007, 10:10 AM
On The Tree

you could also use the l92 truck manifold...yuck.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:53 PM
Teching In

That's cool, Car Craft uses a Comp grind with 228/230, .571/.573.

I guess I'll just copy their build but I'll keep the EFI. One thing I've been thinking about, though, is using a carbed intake with an elbow. I was browsing the forums and saw someone had a link to a company in their signature that makes that setup. I wouldn't mind that kind of setup, I think it looks cool. Plus, I have a cowl hood so I have plenty of room if it's taller than a standard intake.

Matt

Quick Reply: LQ4 & L92 heads = 500 hp?