Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garage Cam job

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 03:05 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Garage Cam job

Im considering doing my cam job myself in the garage... now to most of you its no big deal but... i have not done something so big yet.... i have the resources to do it, and a few people to call if it gets hairy but was just wondering if i should even attempt such a task, and are there any things i could severely damage due to the lack of experience?
Old 09-04-2007, 03:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

As long as you take your time, pay attention and have the right tools you can do it. There is a great write up on install university.com I believe that will guide you through it. Just take your time and turn your engine over by hand when done to make sure you don't have any unusual noises before cranking it up! Good Luck!
Old 09-04-2007, 03:55 AM
TECH Resident

www.ls1howto.com
Old 09-04-2007, 06:58 AM
On The Tree

it can be done. just take your time and read the write ups. i never pulled a motor out of my car but we did it. i just didnt feel like paying some shop to do the work for me if i could do it myself
Old 09-04-2007, 08:09 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mcamarols1
yep. Just use this, get your tools together, buy some beer & take your time. I hadn't done anything extensive to mine either until I took the plunge & did my H/C swap. I was kinda intimidated but after taking it all apart, it really wasn't that bad at all.
Old 09-05-2007, 02:27 AM
Launching!

Awsome.. exacly what i wanted to hear! thanks fellas.. i do have a question though... in that write up it shows removing of the heads for new ones, i dont plan on doing head just the cam so will i still have to do all that or can i completely leave teh heads alone , valve covers and all

Last edited by supersickss; 09-05-2007 at 02:56 AM.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:27 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you don't have to change the heads, but depending on how much lift and ramp rate you have on the cam it may be advisable to change the valve springs.

Even if you don't change the heads you will need to take the rocker covers off as the push rods are pushing on the cam, and you wont be able to take the cam out. I believe you need to take out the push rods and lifters, to remove the cam, in that write up they do mention the roulette method but thats a gamble. I guess someone else will chime in with more info.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was in the same boat as you... I said **** it, put the garage in the garage, up on ramps, and went at it. I took my sweet old time because I didn't wanna screw anything up, took two solid days/nights of work. When it was done it was so sweet to hear that sucker fire up I just used LS1howto.com and the help of a few members here.

-J
Old 09-05-2007, 07:22 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by RedWS6 00
you don't have to change the heads, but depending on how much lift and ramp rate you have on the cam it may be advisable to change the valve springs.

Even if you don't change the heads you will need to take the rocker covers off as the push rods are pushing on the cam, and you wont be able to take the cam out. I believe you need to take out the push rods and lifters, to remove the cam, in that write up they do mention the roulette method but thats a gamble. I guess someone else will chime in with more info.
Well your not gonna get the lifters out without removing the heads & then the lifter trays.

If your not wanting to remove the heads you need to get some long dowl's & slide them in the block to keep from dropping the lifters. I forget the exact size & length, but a search will find it easily.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:57 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
Well your not gonna get the lifters out without removing the heads & then the lifter trays.

If your not wanting to remove the heads you need to get some long dowl's & slide them in the block to keep from dropping the lifters. I forget the exact size & length, but a search will find it easily.
There is a specialty tool made to do just this, hold the lifters up and out of the way without removing the heads. It ain't cheap, but works far better than just a dowel.

Rockers will still need to be loosened and swung out of the way, and pushrods pulled out.

Most cam swaps require/ suggest new springs appropriate to the lift, and most folks would probably recommend a nice hardened pushrod at the same time.

Again, there is a specialty tool available to assist in changing springs in the car.

Personally, I'm up in the air about pulling the heads. I've done it lots of times on the car... but best results probably should include setting up the heads correctly with every installed height checked and shimmed and at least lapping the valves again if not a valve job. Installed height can be done on the car, but obviously not a valve job.

Another frequently ignored item in a home cam install (and far too many shop installs) is valvetrain geometry and pushrod length. Search is your friend.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

remember to buy some helicoils!!!. i have used quiet a few of them
Old 09-05-2007, 08:49 AM
Launching!

I just finished up putting a cam in my LS2 C6. Just take your time. You can do it.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I did mine myself (twice) the first time I had the help of a friend. The second time I did most of it but still got an extra pair of hands to pull the AC Condenser and to put it back in. I did not disconnect it.

Here are the things that were the hardest:
  1. Getting the back bolts of the Coils bracket specially in the passenger side (do not put them back)
  2. getting the AC condenser out of the way and putting it back (getting all tabs to line up)
  3. Threading the cylinder fill tool to keep the valves up during spring swap (specially in the 2 back cylinder in the passenger side) The hose is stiff so it made it harder to spin around with the limited space. Threading it through the bottom prove to be a bit easier. A good spring compressor made the spring swap part of this a snap.
  4. Bolting up the oil pick up tube to the pump without droping the bolt in the pan. (fill the front of the pan with shop paper towels to keep the bolt from droping in all the way to the back of the pan if you do drop it)
  5. not getting on the gas after everyhting is put together, the car is running good, but you still need a tune.
Good Luck!
Old 09-05-2007, 01:29 PM
On The Tree

Those cam install instructions were very good except one thing.

Leave your coil packs unplugged and crank the engine over till you get oil pressure. It may take a minute or few but it will come.

Don't crank your damn engine knowing there won't be any oil pressure.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:23 PM

It's not a hard job.
You can screw it up.
Take your time
If you have someone who has done it before, have them help you.
Timming Gear is VERY IMPORTANT.
What size cam? Smaller lift & duration are more forgiving if you are off a tooth with the cam gear.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cpt_bimes
Those cam install instructions were very good except one thing.

Leave your coil packs unplugged and crank the engine over till you get oil pressure. It may take a minute or few but it will come.

Don't crank your damn engine knowing there won't be any oil pressure.
pull the fuel pump fuse also. You dont need to flood the cylinders and get gas in your oil.

EDIT- that was about the proudest moment in my life, when I cranked the engine and after the first crank I saw 10lbs of pressure. The gauge, at that moment, was a "did you **** up" meter, lol.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:54 PM
9 Second Club

i just did mine and used dowels... dont worry about it. 5/16 dowels... lube it up, it aint like super hard but some things are a pain in the ***... i used to TDC method to swap springs, if it dont push the valve up all the way use a magnet and they will come up.. and by the way dont loose those stupid little keepers.