Sponsored by:

newbie motor build up???

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 08:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default newbie motor build up???

i can only imagine what people are going to say to this one:

the most advanced thing i've ever done to my car personally is change spark plugs, ergo i have a bit of a dilemma. i have a list of parts i want to buy, my budget is far from small but extremely unforgiving - i simply CANNOT go over, i CANNOT find any better deals than i already have (trust me on this one), and i ABSOLUTLY CANNOT afford to sacrifice any part on the list - which leaves me with one simple option, build the mother myself.

here the problem becomes apparent - i have no idea whether or not i can pull this off. the build would involve a complete tear down and rebuild of the motor, conversion of the drive line from an a4 backed by a 10-bolt to an m6 backed with a strange 12, the installation of a twin turbo and methanol system, as well as numerous other parts (radiator, vacuum pump, associated gauges - 12 in all if you count the cuztom dash, etc).

before you fall asleep reading this, here's the question: is it possible for me to do this myself. obviously there would have to be lots of planning, preparation, and reading up on things, but is it conceivable???
Old 09-04-2007, 09:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldnt recommend it if the most you have done is change the plugs. Not a good Idea. Have someone who knows what they are doing help you.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:10 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by flynlow3
I wouldnt recommend it if the most you have done is change the plugs. Not a good Idea. Have someone who knows what they are doing help you.
I agree and coming from someone that has done intake installs, shifter, gauges, electrical stuff, oil changes and pulley swaps I wouldn’t attempt something that major myself or with my friends help. Maybe you can hold off for a while till you can get the money together for labor.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanx guys...i needed some second opinions from people with experience
Old 09-05-2007, 12:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah i would let someone who knows what they are doing do it. doing headers and exhaust are nothing big, even the trans and rear end. but if your going to build the entire motor then i would have some1 else do it. oh and one more reccommendation, dont try to do this on jack stands.... find some1 with a list
Old 09-05-2007, 03:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Buy all the parts save up more money, shop around for a good engine builder. and once you have money saved to pay for the labor. put everything together. AND EXPECT PROBLEMS. I have learned a lot in my ripe old age of 21. What can go wrong will most likely will go wrong. Things rarely go smoothly.

Secondly I would atempt to build up your own LS series motor for you first motor. I've tinkered with the idea and might be attempting a freshen up of my old motor that I am pulling out this weekend. There are a lot of small little tidbits you need to know about an LS series motor. And the tolderances are much much tighter then a SBC

Thats my $0.02
Old 09-07-2007, 12:13 PM
TECH Resident

It is possible to build it yourself however you have to be comfortable with the fact that if/when something goes wrong it will cost you more to get it fixed than it cost to build it right the first time. If you really want to do it yourself start reading, there are several good books about building LSx engines. Ask questions and see if someone in your area is willing to help.