Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for some info about Accusump oil system

Old 09-06-2007, 07:47 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Looking for some info about Accusump oil system

Looking for some feed back about the Accusump system in a drag race set-up. I am thing of using it on a street/strip solid roller 8,100 rpm wet sump set-up. I understand that it is a good system for preoiling and prevent short oil starvations.

I am more concern about high rpm lubrication and reducing aeration.

Any feed back on the Accusump system, or how to reducing Oil Aeration in wet sump system.

Bob
Old 09-06-2007, 08:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have one of the Moroso ones and I'm not sure about aeration of the oil, but apparently you could reduce windage by running a little less oil than the thing holds which means a little less int he pan, but not sure how comfortable I am with that idea. Wonder if aeration would also have to do with what kind of windage tray you have. I imagine if you had too much air in the oil would it show up in your oil pressure reading?
Old 09-07-2007, 12:43 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Kevin Blown 95 TA
I have one of the Moroso ones and I'm not sure about aeration of the oil, but apparently you could reduce windage by running a little less oil than the thing holds which means a little less int he pan, but not sure how comfortable I am with that idea. Wonder if aeration would also have to do with what kind of windage tray you have. I imagine if you had too much air in the oil would it show up in your oil pressure reading?

Motor has not been built yet, just looking ahead to prevent any oiling problems.
Plan on using a Moroso pan and Mellings pump with an external oil filter. Looking for some feed back about the Accusump system as it sounds like a good set-up for that little extra margin of safety.
Old 09-08-2007, 04:30 PM
On The Tree

I like that it oils the engine before you start the car. I have the solenoid valve actuated by the ignition. I just run a stock pan, melling 55 pump with a white spring and I usually have 40# at idle unless it gets hot, then maybe 35# and usually 60-70# at cruise - and also WOT. I have coated Clevite bearings and the diamond stripper windage tray and a crank scraper too with a pan baffle at the pump. Nothing more complicated than that.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:20 PM
10 Second Club

I like that it oils the engine before you start the car. I have the solenoid valve actuated by the ignition. I just run a stock pan, melling 55 pump with a white spring and I usually have 40# at idle unless it gets hot, then maybe 35# and usually 60-70# at cruise - and also WOT. I have coated Clevite bearings and the diamond stripper windage tray and a crank scraper too with a pan baffle at the pump. Nothing more complicated than that.
Thanks for the info, I plan on using coated bearings and the moroso pan with baffles and windage tray.

I am looking for the best place to plum into the oil system. I understand there is three ways, in the front or rear of the block or into the oil line to the filter.
Any LS guys using this system?
Old 09-10-2007, 03:35 PM
TECH Junkie

I have used the system on a few LS engines. It will work best plumbed into the rear of the block, low or high behind the intake. The front port is unfiltered oil, and may damage the bore of the accusump over time. If you use the port behind the intake, it may need to be enlarged. Some of the blocks have a very small transfer hole there that would limit the function of the accusump.

Kurt
Old 09-11-2007, 09:41 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 427
I have used the system on a few LS engines. It will work best plumbed into the rear of the block, low or high behind the intake. The front port is unfiltered oil, and may damage the bore of the accusump over time. If you use the port behind the intake, it may need to be enlarged. Some of the blocks have a very small transfer hole there that would limit the function of the accusump.

Kurt
Kurt, thanks for the info.
Bob
Old 09-12-2007, 09:43 AM
Staging Lane

Regarding air in the oil, have you considered a vacuum pump?
Old 09-12-2007, 05:54 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Running the same setup, works great. It's reassuring to hit the key and see the oil pressure climb to 30+ psi before the engine turns over.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:49 AM
Staging Lane

I have a Canton 3 quart Accusump brand new in the box with all the required hardware for installation I'm selling if you're interested. $250 shipped, which is over $100 off the price buying it elsewhere.
Old 10-19-2007, 06:02 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 427

Kurt
That is what we did on my LS6. I run a 3qt Moroso in my left front fender and an oil cooler up in front of my radiators.

Manual switch, so when I turn the key to 'accessory' I flip the sump switch, to pre-lub the block, then turn it over.

Granted my vette is not for drag racing but running road courses.

Search this Thread