Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Something broke?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2003, 01:43 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Something broke?

I got home with my car then the next day when i started my car up it started up fine. backed up about 10 feet the all of a sudden,a loud grinding/knocking sound from the top of my engine, thought mabey pushrod bent then came out and was hitting the valve cover but that is not it, now when i tried to turn the engine over it locked up, if i put it in gear and push forward then back it will turn over then lock up, also when i heard the sound it then started running extreamly ruff like i only had a few cylinders. and help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-01-2003, 08:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Something broke?

I broke a push rod a little while back, that sounds similar to what mine did but not quite as bad, try unpluging the coil packs and taking off the valve covers, its realy simple, you should be able to see whats wrong!
Old 06-01-2003, 09:16 AM
Teching In

You pr4obly dropped the head off one of your valves or at least part of the head. Pull your plugs and see if ony of the tips are screwed up. which ever hole has the bad plug is the one that is screwed. If you find this then get ready to pull the engine and replace the valves (I would do all of them because if you messed one up the rest are not far behind the others), replace the piston in that whole, fix the dammage to that holes walls, check the rod to see if it is bent, and check the crankshaft for damage, and replace all the bearings. Not that big a deal, but look on the good side, you will get a chance to do all the things you wanted to to the bottom end to make it even faster. Also, if you are running platnium plugs with the juice, you might have lost the tip in the hole(never,I MEAN NEVER) run platnuim tip plugs with the juice. If this happened then you might get away with alot less damage but you will still need to take it down to inspect it. If you see no problems with the plugs then pull a compressoin test to see if you broke a piston. Basically same repairs as before. Next time check the air fuel ratio with the juice before you run it and keep the best fuel around in it. Did you loose any coolant? Check the radiator and if it is lower then normal check you dip stick to see if it is all in the bottom end. If it is or when you pull the plug and coolant runs out of the plug hole then you will find a hole or crack in the head from the broken part being were it does not go. Good luck and remember this is you chance to make it better and faster so don't get to uppset. Go have fun and eat up them stangs!!
Old 06-01-2003, 12:23 PM
10 Second Club

I pulled the valve covers off and everything is tight nothing loose with th push rods, that is what i was hoping it was. what mistified me is that it did it when i just started it up i haven't ran any N2O on it in almost a month.Also the night before i did hit the Rev limiter it is the only time i have hit it, then i back off and slowed down.engine was running great when i got home. Thanks for the advice i will pull the plugs and let you know what i find.
Old 06-05-2003, 11:00 PM
10 Second Club

Well i pulled the engine and it was not a valve, my piston completly shattered. Can anyone think of why that would have happened?
Old 06-06-2003, 09:41 PM
10 Second Club

found out what caused it, someone left a wrench in my engine before i bought it.
Old 06-06-2003, 10:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Holy sh**. Thats a story you can tell your grand kids. What dumb f*** could do something like forgetting a wrench in an engine?

Sounds and I'm sure it looks suspicious.
Old 06-07-2003, 02:06 AM
10 Second Club

I am just wondering if it might have happened at the factory. I am going to try and get the service records on the car and see if any one has opened the engine up to do any work on the Rockers or anything that would give them access to the internals of the engine. Whats strange is that it is 5/16 which fits the rocker bolts. ô¿ô
Old 06-07-2003, 02:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

how the fu#$ does that happens???? How old is the motor???? That's almost soooo crazy that it's hard to believe....did you take pictures of everything??? That's something for the newspapers....
Old 06-07-2003, 11:31 AM
10 Second Club

Did not take pictures yet, just got it taken apart yesterday.
Old 06-08-2003, 01:09 AM
10 Second Club

the engine is original, its a 99 tran am. approx 55,000 miles on it.
Old 06-08-2003, 08:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Where did you find the wrench?
Old 06-08-2003, 01:02 PM
10 Second Club

It fell out when i turned the engine over on the engine stand, I didn't think much of it because it looked like a broken peice of the engine, but later in an oil drain pan, then another part of it in some oil that had come from the engine, i can only guess it was in the oil pan or sitting on the peice of metal above it.
Old 06-27-2003, 12:27 AM
10 Second Club

well i got a new engine, cost me 2,568 with tax. so i should be running it again next wed at the track.
Old 06-27-2003, 12:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Whats strange is that it is 5/16 which fits the rocker bolts.
That's weird.

I would think the factory would only have metric tools around. A 5/16 may fit but I think it's probably really a 7 or 8mm (??)

I bet somebody else worked on it.

Sucks you had to buy a new engine because of somebody else's screwup.
Old 06-27-2003, 12:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Great story. Makes ya wonder eh?

Dope