Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

reusable oil filter?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 10:12 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default reusable oil filter?

Anybody on here use one? I was looking at one from New ERA. anyone else make one?
Old 09-19-2007, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

i wouldnt only b/c i think no matter how much you clean it you cant get every little thing out of it so just buy a throw away
Old 09-19-2007, 11:23 PM
TECH Resident

i run a purepower one and i have higher oild pressure and i think it works better than a throwaway filter, but that just my opinion
Old 09-19-2007, 11:27 PM
Staging Lane

there is alot on contorversy with this one just buy a box of Mobil 1 and be good with that..I allways run a fat magnet on the side of mine just to be sure
Old 09-20-2007, 04:03 AM
TECH Addict

I've had the reuseable SS mesh oil filters in the past. They do a decent job at filtration as long as you get a quality filter with the correct mesh size.

But to be honest with ya - it depends on your personal time-money ratio.

Reuseable:

The reuseable filter is more expensive initially

You must remove and clean housing/element, along with normally replacing all the o-rings at change time. Don't know if you ever really get the mesh as clean as it was when new.

No continuing expense (other than buying the o-rings)

One Time Use:

Unscrew
Throw out
Install new filter

Re-occuring expense (we're talkin' $8 every oil change - and how often do you change your oil? I use Castrol GC and change at 5000 miles - amount I drive that ain't very often)

After messing with a reuseable filter over a couple of years - I won't use one again. Much easier to just throw out and install new filter vs. all the cleaning involved. For me, paying $8 for a filter is much more desireable than my time that is taken up by cleaning.

I use the K&N filter with the welded nut on the bottom for easy removal/install. I also use the FilterMag on my filter.

-Jay-
Old 09-20-2007, 09:09 PM
10 Second Club

well on our NMRA purer street car we you a system 1 reusable filter. They are very easy to clean and you can get them extremely clean. we have used it for 2 years with changing oil about 2-3 times a race. never had to replace the o-ring yet. You can also easily see what is going through your filter without the hassle and buying a tool to cut the filter open. I was basically asking if there were any other brands or companys that make them moreso than asking which to use. I usually change the oil and filter before I race the car so @$4 a pop for a filter I could have a reusuable paid for in a year or so.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:41 PM
TECH Resident

my purepower filter has viton seals, and it has a lifetime warranty.

yes its a drag to clean it, but i SEE all the everything the filter catches everytime i change my oil, so if i see something really wrong i can stop running the car and investigate.

does it cost more-yes
is it a price ill pay for peace of mind-heck yes
will a normal filter do the same job-yes

its all personal prefrence

Quick Reply: reusable oil filter?