Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

160 Thermostat

Old 09-20-2007, 03:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 160 Thermostat

Alright, I have a 2001 SS and I wanted replace the stock thermostat with a 160 Thermo. The problem is I bought a Mr. Gasket 160 Thermo which is just the Thermostat itself and I hearing that you need to buy the the thermo and housing as one for that year? Is this true?
Old 09-20-2007, 04:57 PM
TECH Addict

have you got anything to reset your computer to tell the fans to come on earlier ? your fans won't come on untill it gets up to temp,i can't remember exactly but it's quite a bit higher than 160. the reason i say this is your engine may run quite a bit warmer than 160 if the 1st fan isn't coming on but i have never tried putting a lower temp stat without turning the fans on earlier also.maybe someone that has done it will chime in.
Old 09-20-2007, 05:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are naysayers and yesman when it comes to this mod.

In the end, if you know what is going on there will be no issues to arise. It will cause a greater variation in engine temps. That is all. Farther north it maybe an issue.

Some will argue that cooler temps are bad for power. So what? If you are hotrodding it the temps will climb to normal. When going down the highway they will fall into the 170s 180s. My car frequently sees 187 degrees with the AC on going down the highway in summer.

In summary, it isn't going to make a huge differene unless you have a bigger radiator. So, why not get the 160 if it is about the same price and you need one anyways. It won't harm anything.
Old 09-20-2007, 05:16 PM
On The Tree

But can I install just a thermostat or do I need to buy the thermostat and housing as one assembly?
Old 09-20-2007, 05:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Nasty275SS
But can I install just a thermostat or do I need to buy the thermostat and housing as one assembly?
ANSWER: NO--You cannot use just a thermostat..all LSX engines use one that is incorporated with the housing itself....
Old 09-20-2007, 06:17 PM
12 Second Truck Club

the newer ones have a seperate housing and t-stat.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by 4.8T
the newer ones have a seperate housing and t-stat.
thanks ggod info-----but the 98-02 ls1's have housings..thats what i meant----WHEN did they go to regular thermo's.????????????????????????/
Old 09-20-2007, 06:47 PM
On The Tree

So Bottomline I need to get the thermo and the housing as one assembly and cant replace just the thermostat itself?
Old 09-20-2007, 06:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Nasty275SS
So Bottomline I need to get the thermo and the housing as one assembly and cant replace just the thermostat itself?
YES....
Old 09-20-2007, 08:17 PM
12 Second Truck Club

i'm not sure but my 4.8 that was in my 2004 silverado and my 5.3l in my 2004 tahoe both have the stat seperate from the housing. i bought my stat from lingenfelter on ebay for like $7.

according to their store http://www.lingenfelter.com/store/c64.html 2004 was the change over year.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:37 PM

In the 98-02 LS1 the thermostat definitely comes as a one piece with the waterneck and the t-stat. You cant use just a regular t-stat! The "housing stat and a regular old t-stat are different diameters so they cant even be made to work with eachother(If you were to remove the stat from the housing) And in my opinion,to do the stat,and not program the fans for the correct temp range is just a waste of time! It shouldnt hurt anything but you wont really see much of a difference in engine temp if any.

Old 09-20-2007, 08:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by slopagafud
In the 98-02 LS1 the thermostat definitely comes as a one piece with the waterneck and the t-stat. You cant use just a regular t-stat! The "housing stat and a regular old t-stat are different diameters so they cant even be made to work with eachother(If you were to remove the stat from the housing) And in my opinion,to do the stat,and not program the fans for the correct temp range is just a waste of time! It shouldnt hurt anything but you wont really see much of a difference in engine temp if any.

THANK YOU---when I replied above....I said he could NOT just use a thermostat...geez, you would think we were rewiring the damn computer.....98-02 LS1's have 1 piece thermostats...housing is part of thermo.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THE END.
Old 12-05-2007, 12:12 AM
TECH Resident

NHRAMan, I see you are a Tech and wanted to run this by you. I went to install a new 160 t-stat on my 2000 WS6. FYI about a year and half ago, the previous owner installed a new water pump at a Pontiac dealership.

When I removed the old T-stat, it measures 1 9/16" between the 2 supports on the T-stat holding the spring in place.
The width of the inlet into the water pump measured 1 7/8".
The measurement between the 2 supports on the new 160 T stat meassured 2".
This new T-stat was not going to work. GM had changed something on the water pump. Come to find out, I called ws6store from where I bought the T-stat, and they said I needed an 04-06 GTO 160 T-stat. He sales guy who had been helping knew right away the water pump had been changed recently. He said this happens about 1 in a 100 times.
It looks like GM are putting newer casted water pumps on some F-bodies.

The new T-stat should be here tomorrow, I'll know for sure if it works then.
Was able to break the new 160 one today. Tried to dremel down the supports and hole, yeahhhh, that didn't work. Broke the supports, there went the refund.
Old 12-05-2007, 12:47 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

whats the difference between using the t-stat that the car came with, and adjusting the fans to a lower temp,>>> Or having 160 t-stat and lowering fans ?
Old 12-05-2007, 07:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Titanws6
NHRAMan, I see you are a Tech and wanted to run this by you. I went to install a new 160 t-stat on my 2000 WS6. FYI about a year and half ago, the previous owner installed a new water pump at a Pontiac dealership.

When I removed the old T-stat, it measures 1 9/16" between the 2 supports on the T-stat holding the spring in place.
The width of the inlet into the water pump measured 1 7/8".
The measurement between the 2 supports on the new 160 T stat meassured 2".
This new T-stat was not going to work. GM had changed something on the water pump. Come to find out, I called ws6store from where I bought the T-stat, and they said I needed an 04-06 GTO 160 T-stat. He sales guy who had been helping knew right away the water pump had been changed recently. He said this happens about 1 in a 100 times.
It looks like GM are putting newer casted water pumps on some F-bodies.

The new T-stat should be here tomorrow, I'll know for sure if it works then.
Was able to break the new 160 one today. Tried to dremel down the supports and hole, yeahhhh, that didn't work. Broke the supports, there went the refund.
Yup. I had the waterpump replaced under warranty on my wife's 2002 Z28 and the dealer replaced it with one that had the housing and t-stat separate. I was going crazy trying to find a new 160 t-stat that fit and finally found one on ebay. My local Napa had no idea that GM made a 2 pc housing/stat combo for LS1's.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

hello, i have a hypertech new in box i couldnt use because i bought a new waterpump and it was a ls2 which bolted up but uses a diff style therm housing. i'll sell mine for $20. i paid $50! for therm & housing
Old 12-05-2007, 09:18 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by slow trap
have you got anything to reset your computer to tell the fans to come on earlier ? your fans won't come on untill it gets up to temp,i can't remember exactly but it's quite a bit higher than 160. the reason i say this is your engine may run quite a bit warmer than 160 if the 1st fan isn't coming on but i have never tried putting a lower temp stat without turning the fans on earlier also.maybe someone that has done it will chime in.
Factory '02 fan settings:
Fan 1 on/off - 226*F/219*F
Fan 2 on/off - 234*F/227*F

Old 12-05-2007, 09:29 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
There are naysayers and yesman when it comes to this mod.

In the end, if you know what is going on there will be no issues to arise. It will cause a greater variation in engine temps. That is all. Farther north it maybe an issue.

Some will argue that cooler temps are bad for power. So what? If you are hotrodding it the temps will climb to normal. When going down the highway they will fall into the 170s 180s. My car frequently sees 187 degrees with the AC on going down the highway in summer.

In summary, it isn't going to make a huge differene unless you have a bigger radiator. So, why not get the 160 if it is about the same price and you need one anyways. It won't harm anything.

My car actually made better "numbers" dynoig at 180* compared to at 160. Just a little food for thought for other people.
Old 12-10-2007, 12:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Rather than making a seperate post about this same thing:

I'm doing a head swap pretty soon with higher compression, and already have a cam. The summers in NJ can be pretty damn hot, and the winter months the reverse, damn cold!

I'm unsure of the stock T-Stat rating, assuming 210?

I'm curious to all heads/cam guys if they are running stock t-stats or running cooler temps and for what reasons. I remember way back when reading a whole thing on how our engines are designed to run hot, and that colder temperatures may reduce performance, but I would assume at a limiting point.

Maybe a 180* t-stat would be a good thing to do during head swap vs the cooler 160*?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 160 Thermostat