Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rebuilding top

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 03:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuilding top

So I am putting my cam in(motors out of the car) and check PTV clearance, so I take the heads off, check it. And put the motor back together. As I torque down the new bolts and new gaskets, on the last pass...... It gets pretty tight for a second, and then stress relieves...but I hear a like...vacuum release. I look at the side of the block and a verrrrrrrry little amount of coolant is there. It seems like...the coolant got pushed out of a pore in the block. I see no crack or anything..
What happened, and did something break? haha. I have rebuilt a bunch of motors....and first time I ever have seen this.
Old 09-21-2007, 04:09 PM
On The Tree

this is what happened. blocks don't have pores. there must have been coolant in the hole of the head bolt you were tightening if it got tight and then "relieved stress". it doesn't have to look like a "crack", but it sounds to me (99.9%sure) you cracked your block.
Old 09-21-2007, 04:14 PM
TECH Resident

yea...figures my luck. Well, I am not replacing it haha. Looks like it will have to go in and run and literally blow up.

If I tell my parents I cracked my block tightening down my heads, things won't go well.
Old 09-21-2007, 04:14 PM
TECH Resident

Any quick fixes to it since the "cracks" are so tiny?