Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advantages of a better flowing exhaust port?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 01:45 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advantages of a better flowing exhaust port?

I was comparing the Et 215 heads and the Trickflow 215s. The intake port flow numbers are almost identical, within 1 or 2 cfm. But the exhaust port, the trickflow really outshined the ets.
I know power is made with the right cam and head combo, but forgive me if i am being ignorant, why would i buy ets if the trickflows out flow them so much on the exhaust side reguardless of cam selection?
Old 09-22-2007, 01:48 AM
TECH Resident

Quality difference, price difference, parts used in the heads, design of the heads suited for your build.,,,just to name a few.
Old 09-22-2007, 02:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

You mentionned why at first but then went backwards saying "regardless of cam selection".
Think of the cam as the heart and the heads as the lungs. One cannot be efficient without the other. so while the heads will put out numbers with any cam a custom cam is better suited for specific head designs.
Old 09-22-2007, 03:12 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Ferretts
why would i buy ets if the trickflows out flow them so much on the exhaust side reguardless of cam selection?
yeah... why would you? 8 out of 10 combos respond better to exhaust improvements than intake. it will depend on your cam, but go with the flow (numbers) and size your cam accordingly. also a lot of companies market their flow numbers at rediculous lifts like .700-.750!!! so just make sure youre comparing apples to apples.
Old 09-22-2007, 11:41 AM
11 Second Club

I believe Trick Flows are flowed with a pipe on the exhaust which increases the numbers.I would check to make sure you are comparing the same numbers.Some one may know about how much a pipe increases flow but I would guess these heads are close on the exhaust also.