Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low oil pressure on new motor. Just my luck

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 05:46 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Low oil pressure on new motor. Just my luck

I just got the iron ls1 where it would crank today. It is a 4.8 that was bored to a 5.7. It has a used crank that I had polished, ported ls1 pump with less than 10k miles, it has a truck pan and pickup tube. OK, I ported the pump myself and the pump looked like it had less than 10k on it. I bought a new o ring from gm and it was red and the one that come off was green but the tube fit tight when we put it in. The computer still has vats on it so it will only run for 5 seconds or so and the pcm shuts it down. I have auto meter guages and it will only get up to about 10psi and the computer shuts it down. I pulled the sending unit out and screwed a guage in and it only read about 10psi also so I think the sending unit is good. Where would you guys start? The motors has only been run a total of about 2 mins tops if that much.
Thanks for the help guys I know you will come through for me.
Old 09-22-2007, 06:16 PM
LS1 Tech Veteran

At least you have 10 PSI, so that's good. Now, review this thread https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/774926-help-no-oil-pressure-new-motor.html. I think that probably you have the wrong O Ring. Also, after you ported the oil pump, did you clean it (including removing the pressure relief spring. If you got an aluminum chip or foreign matter in the pressure relief/regulator and it the piston is stuck in the open/dump position, the majority of the oil will just go back to the oil pan. Read and study the other thread. You could have a pump that's not seated against the block, a blocked oil filter. An oil filter that's not full of oil yet (but I doubt that. A dumbbell/barbell or galley plug missing or leaking.

Again, be glad that you've got 10 PSI. What are your oil clearances on the mains and the rods and the cam?

Steve
Old 09-22-2007, 06:20 PM
Launching!

I cleaned the oil pump with brake kleen and took the spring out also and blew everything out with air. I did not fill the filter up with oil when I installed it but it should have filled by now. Should I wait and let the guy do my pcm so I can let it run for about 30 secs?

Originally Posted by Steve Bryant
At least you have 10 PSI, so that's good. Now, review this thread https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=774926. I think that probably you have the wrong O Ring. Also, after you ported the oil pump, did you clean it (including removing the pressure relief spring. If you got an aluminum chip or foreign matter in the pressure relief/regulator and it the piston is stuck in the open/dump position, the majority of the oil will just go back to the oil pan. Read and study the other thread. You could have a pump that's not seated against the block, a blocked oil filter. An oil filter that's not full of oil yet (but I doubt that. A dumbbell/barbell or galley plug missing or leaking.

Again, be glad that you've got 10 PSI. What are your oil clearances on the mains and the rods and the cam?

Steve
Old 09-22-2007, 11:29 PM
LS1 Tech Veteran

Yes, that's what I'd do next. You do have enough oil pressure to take care of the bearings. Fix your PCM and try again at no more than a fast idle and see if you get pressure within 30 seconds, then shut it down and begin troubleshooting. Have you studied the other thread? While you're waiting for the PCM, it's a good time to study up on the oil system. Also, do you know your clearances? I hope that you used plastigage at least. Your crank that has been "polished" may be undersized enough to require bearings with a smaller inside diameter.

Steve
Old 09-23-2007, 04:28 PM
Launching!

Ok , so I finialy figured out today that I am a dumb ***!! On the oil pan where the plate or where a external oil cooler would bolt up I made a plate to block that off since I did not have the original cover. I took the right cover off my dads vette and guess what. I crank it up and bam 50psi @ idle, I cranked it again and bumped it up to about 2grand and it hit about 75 psi. I felt good that that is what it was and not the oring or pump.
Old 09-23-2007, 04:55 PM
LS1 Tech Veteran

Congratulations! Most problems are like that. There is just one bad link in the chain. The difficulity is mostly figuring out the problem rather than fixing it (although not always).

This is great news!

Steve

Last edited by Steve Bryant; 09-23-2007 at 06:32 PM.
Old 09-23-2007, 05:21 PM
Launching!

Yep I was glad to fire it up and see the oil pressure rise. I will have to go to the gm dealer tomorrow and get me one of them pieces.