Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls1 rebuild questions!! need experts!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 07:25 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls1 rebuild questions!! need experts!!

Ive had my shortblock rebuilt and am in the proccess of putting it back togather and am running into some issues.

1. I installed the cam and noticed there is nothing on the rear of the block locking the cam into place. Even with the rear cover on, when I installed the timing chain it pulled the cam forward into place, which seems strange and seems like the timing gear would rub the front cam retainer plate. did I miss a rear cam retainer? (rear of block)

2. When installing an oil pump, is there any gasket or shim between the pump and the block? My kit from Vengeance had neither, and no trace of a stock one.

3. How crucial is replacing the rear output seal? I have already installed rear cover but if im going to be leaking oil later (one on it has 84k miles) id rather do it now.

4. My knock sensor valley rubber things (at the bottom of the "Hole" or "crevice that the sensors fit in )that the knock sensors sit on, one of them had been remove by the rebuilder for some reason from the valley cover and when i tried to reinstall it tore slightly. Can this be sealed up with some silicon or does it/can it be purchased and replaced.

Im sure alot of first time builders could benifit with detailed answers to each. Thanks in advance guys
Old 09-22-2007, 08:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not an expert here, but I've done a few motors.

Regarding #3, I've seen so many engines leaking at the rear main seal, it's just nuts not to put in a new one. This is the time to do it; the cost is inconsequential in comparison. Plus, you'll sleep better!
Old 09-22-2007, 08:41 PM
9 Second Club

you only need to use shims if your runin a double timing chain, a single will clear the pump,as for the cam thing, i cant remember how it locked in place.... thats weird....
Old 09-22-2007, 08:44 PM
Launching!

Yeah, it came back as bare short block with covers in box. put cam in beforee i even put rear cover on and it was sticking out of the back journal out of the block, i had to slide it forward, doesnt seem like theres any REAR retainer which seems strange, i bet someone can explain this or if im missing something. getting new rear seal so im delayed a few days on that part.
Old 09-22-2007, 11:15 PM
On The Tree

cam is retained from falling out the back by the cam gear
Old 09-23-2007, 12:45 PM
Launching!

Hey thanks guys, hopefully if i build this motor and it actually runs i can pass the knowledge on !!!!, just thought it was strange the cam had no rear retaining setup. Am waiting anxiously to go get a new rear seal, oil pump is good to go. Still have the question looming about this damn knock sensor thing.

Also, can the oil pan gasket be reliably reused? if they hae issues id rather replace now. Also the rear cover gasket?(rear of cam and rear of crank) will prolly just replace both cuz i hate oil leakers.