Sponsored by:

Bleeding Coolant

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 06:19 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bleeding Coolant

Where are the bleeder screws?

What are the symptoms of not bleeding the system?
Old 09-23-2007, 08:09 PM
TECH Addict

Do you mean for air pockets?
I just use the old school cap off, car on refill as necessary. Always worked for me. Yeah symptoms would be hotspots, overheating, blown head gasket, etc. Well that with a good bit of air caught in there.
Old 09-23-2007, 08:11 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by djsanchez2
Do you mean for air pockets?
I just use the old school cap off, car on refill as necessary. Always worked for me. Yeah symptoms would be hotspots, overheating, blown head gasket, etc. Well that with a good bit of air caught in there.
Wait... can you be a bit more descriptive?

Because you might be onto something. haha

I let the car idle... temps were fine. I did a bit of driving and the gauge went sky high. Turned car off and opened radiator cap and a ton of air bled off (Coolant shot out of coolant overflow thing with dipstick. Not a lot but some). Now what should I do? Wait a bit to let it cool off and repeat?

EDIT: Oh yea... I forgot to mention that the coolant that overflowed wasn't hot AT ALL. It was pretty cool actually.

Last edited by ChrisUlrich; 09-23-2007 at 08:38 PM.
Old 09-23-2007, 10:32 PM
TECH Addict

^^ hahaha aluminum engines and air pockets in the coolant passages = bad, bad things

That's a huge air pocket. Are you burning coolant? Do you smell a sweet burning odor in or around your car when it's on?

The right way to do it may take a few minutes. Remove cap, turn on engine, watch coolant level in rad., as the level drops (due to air pockets coming out) add til it at the top. Leave idling to for at least five minutes, and repeat the above as necessary. You might also want to disconnect the coolant hose on the Throttle body to see if there is air caught in there, as it is higher than the raditator.

Don't think i've ever heard of a coolant bleeder valve for air.
Old 09-23-2007, 11:19 PM
TECH Regular

I took off cap and turned heat on. Hot air never came out and I had coolant gurgling and popping out from radiator cap.

The temp never went passed 210 degrees though... idled for a pretty long time as well.

Any idea?