Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My engine build: Come Critique me! Compression/Components/Etc

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 08:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My engine build: Come Critique me! Compression/Components/Etc

Ok guys Ive been piecing this together for a while and everything is finally beginning to fall into place. Let me know what you think of my combo. Everything has been purchased used(block/crank,heads, intake, cam)/NIB(pistons, rings, bolts, gaskets) except for the rods (ironically enough). Although I bought everything used, I bought everything carefully. I didnt just buy ok CAM omg I pick the first cam in the FS section, I picked one I wanted, one that I knew was going to be not only docile but strong enough to run hard and rip up top. I also chose it to work well with a healthy shot of n2o. I did my research and I think everything has come together pretty nicely, all considering.

Shortblock

01 Block Ls6 with the added passageways.
Stock Crank
Eagle Rods ARP 2000 bolts
Diamond +12.5 cc N2O dome top pistons @ 3.908"
Total Seal rings
Clevite bearings

Heads:

Stock 317 Castings
72cc chambers
Gonna get a clean up mill, port/polish, looking for good gains across the board.
I want good mid-range lift, I could care less about total top end (doesnt need to be better than 285 ft^3/min as far as I care)
Will be stock valves/PRC Gold dual kit

Cam:

Comp 228/232 588/595 on 114+2 XER lobes

Intake

LS2 intake manifold/Ported by me to match the intake runners on the heads
Im going to run this because I cant justify the money to buy a fast setup yet, so that will probably come further in the future. Plus I can buy the TB now and upgrade to the fast later, and the ls2 flows better than the ls6 anyhow.

TB

Don't know yet, have yet to decide. Im thinking off the shelf NW tb, but Im open to ANY ideas, theory, etc

Injectors

42lb injectors for now, probably will end up going to a 60lb setup later on down the road for increased n2o.

Nitrous
Will start out at a 150 dry shot, since Im looking for roughly 450 on motor.
Slowly Ill add on, probably to end up at about an overall 250 dry. Will be coming on with a 2 stage controller I bought also at a low price! lol

Anyways. Let me know what you all think. I just want some healthy feedback. Let me know what you did like me and what you didn't do. How you liked it. How you didnt like it. I want this to be a feedback for the parts I selected/why I selected them.

Chris
Old 09-25-2007, 07:29 AM
TECH Resident

c'mon guys, someone's gotta have something to say about this build?
Old 09-25-2007, 09:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Is your p2v ok?
Looks ok to me. Heads and intake might hold you back a bit. But you can upgrade them later as funds allow
Nice dual 3" exhaust will help
Old 09-25-2007, 10:45 AM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is the point of using dome pistons with 6.0L 72cc chamber heads? Dome pistons have worse burn characteristics than flat top or dish pistons. You will be better of milling a set of LS1/LS6 heads to 60cc chambers.

On a NA/Nitrous setup, the LS2 intake is going to get you nothing over a LS6. Better off with a LS6 intake.

Keith
Old 09-25-2007, 11:50 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ringram
Is your p2v ok?
Looks ok to me. Heads and intake might hold you back a bit. But you can upgrade them later as funds allow
Nice dual 3" exhaust will help

Intake is the only thing I am worried (not) about. I willbe upgrading in the near future. The heads have been shown to perform as good if not better than ls6 heads with similar porting.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

In addition wit hthe EVO at 52* your tq isnt gona be too great either.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:37 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ls1290
What is the point of using dome pistons with 6.0L 72cc chamber heads? Dome pistons have worse burn characteristics than flat top or dish pistons. You will be better of milling a set of LS1/LS6 heads to 60cc chambers.

On a NA/Nitrous setup, the LS2 intake is going to get you nothing over a LS6. Better off with a LS6 intake.

Keith
The dometops were not selected for their burn characteristics, mainly for their superior strength and detonation resistance.

The ls2 intake isnt going to gain me anything, I realize. the fact that it implements a 90mm tb into my combo (read: throttle response) is what I was concerned with.

The main thing here to emphasize is combination of parts and dollar/hp. This obviously isnt a max effort setup but I want to show what can be done on a budget basis while still maintaining composure and driveability.