Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bearing question

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 02:53 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bearing question

I took my new 6.0 iron block, stock ls1 crank, clevite std bearings, compstar 6.125 rods, and diamond pistons to a machine shop. I told them to clearance and balance my rotating assembly and file fit the rings. When I got the motor back they file fit the rings, polished my crank, and balanced my rotating assembly. They told me when they balanced my rotating assembly they could only get it to 33 grams on side and 35 on the other and the only way to get it balanced is to add metal, but it would be ok if I'm only spinning 7000 rpms. Also, they didn't even bother clearancing my bearings because they said if everything is new and the crank is in spec, that the bearings should be clearanced properly. Should I just take my motor somewhere else, or do you think the information they told me was correct?
Old 09-29-2007, 04:46 AM
Banned

They left it at 33+ grams underbalanced? That is not ok.

Well....ok, if your crank is in spec, and the bearings are new then everything must be great - no reason to check anything

You should take your parts somewhere else. The crank needs to be balanced correctly, and the block needs to be checked out more thoroughly. They need to check the main housing bore, then install the bearings and check your clearances.
Old 09-29-2007, 08:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Run away as fast as you can...
Old 09-29-2007, 10:36 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by machinistone
They left it at 33+ grams underbalanced? That is not ok.

Well....ok, if your crank is in spec, and the bearings are new then everything must be great - no reason to check anything

You should take your parts somewhere else. The crank needs to be balanced correctly, and the block needs to be checked out more thoroughly. They need to check the main housing bore, then install the bearings and check your clearances.
It was 2 grams underbalanced. His machine said 33 grams on one side and 35 on the other.

Anybody know any good machine shops near Missouri? lol
Old 09-29-2007, 10:18 PM
Banned

Is that how he explained it to you? Because my computer does not display the information in that way, it's an Add/Remove type situation.

If his reading is truly a differential of 2g....that's a dime size weld and easily brought to zero, although 2g is perfectly ok for a street motor if it's an over balance. Any amount of under balance can cause a vibration.

I don't have the crank in front of me so