Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

why shim the rocker arms?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 09:54 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default why shim the rocker arms?

ive seen people shim them. why? i have harlands on my car right now and the bitch is noisy as all get out. i measured for pushrod length and set preload at .090 w/ the caddy lifters. that is unless they are smaller than the ls1 lifters which they didnt look to be. just trying to gran at straws here as its driving me nuts listening to this thing.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You shim the rockers to get the correct wipe pattern on the tip of the valve. Its covered in the cam sticky up top.
Old 10-01-2007, 05:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Pushrods don't affect wipe pattern as stated above. Get wipe correct first, then measure for pushrod length.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vettenuts
Pushrods don't affect wipe pattern as stated above. Get wipe correct first, then measure for pushrod length.
but if you put a longer pushrod in wont that influence the rocker to wipe further on the tip?
Old 10-01-2007, 03:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

No, not on a rocker that is bolted down. Once you bolt it down, you fix the position of the rocker pivot point and you should put in a real short or real long pushrod and it won't affect wipe. Maybe the easiest way to explain it is I use checking springs and the rockers to check wipe, no pushrod is used at all. I use a dial indicator and basically move the rocker (with piston down the cylinder out of the way) to get the wipe pattern. Once I have the wipe, I then measure for the pushrod.

With a fully adjustable, the pushrod does both, it alters the wipe and the preload so they are a little trickier to select pushrod length.
Old 10-01-2007, 05:48 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

anyone had to actually shim the harland sharp rockers w/ a set of patriot gold extremes? seems the me once its bolted down there is no side to side movement with the shaft on the rockers so the swipe would be the same.

Quick Reply: why shim the rocker arms?