Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me out here...

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 01:14 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me out here...

Ok, obviously I have been on this forum for a while and have contributed. But I know nothing about cams. So, I'm asking everyone, friends, performance shops, and you guys what you think will be the best choice for my car. I have only the mods in my sig. I want to do a cam only swap (lack of funds for heads) I also plan on spraying the car. So, given my mods, and wanting to spray the car in the future, I have a few questions:

1) The always asked question.....what cam do you think will be best for me?

2) What supporting mods will i need? (engine only, ik i have a stock trans and shitty 10-bolt ) for example, rods, springs, oil pump, etc...

O YEA, by the way this is NOT a daily driver....so i can handle an agressive cam....but i dont want the car to lose its current drivability.
Old 10-03-2007, 02:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

can't go wrong with a tr224, great all round cam
Old 10-03-2007, 03:02 PM
TECH Resident

I'm not really sure what to recommend for your spray setup, but i've seen plenty of recommendations for the 224 for anyone that is considering a cam only.

As far as oil pump goes, i stuck with the Melling Oil Pump from SDPC found here:

http://www.sdparts.com/product/MEL10...ESSUREOIL.aspx
Old 10-03-2007, 03:03 PM
Staging Lane

From what I understand about bumpy sticks, when hosing a motor with nitrous, the camshaft should be similar to a blower cam. The increased heat generated by the nitrous needs to be evacuated. This would seem to mean more exhaust duration and lift than what you would normally see on a NA motor.

The GT2-3 grind from Lingenfelter might be a good choice. It's what I have for my Maggie/nitrous/meth'd LS1 GTO.

I bought heads at the same time and they strongly encouraged the Comp Cams 921 valve springs.

The last part of this was the timing chain. Using the stock one on a bigger cam just isn't worth the risk. So, they (LPE) suggested the single roller Kinetics stating that they have had a 100% success rate with it on 800hp + TT vette engines. The double rollers are prone to being a little troublesome because of the oil pump. Seems there can be a clearance issue that requires grinding and fussing.

Jeff Meyers at LPE is a great guy to talk to. Sharp as a cat and cool as hell.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:51 AM
Launching!

Thanks for the help guys! Yea I talked to Larry over at SpeedInc, and he suggested their SI5 231/237 cam. Considering that is the closest shop to me, and the fact that they have never steered me in the wrong direction before, I think that is what i'm going with. What do you all think? Gona do springs, pushrods, pump, timing chain, and UD pulley as well.