Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What cam is best for me????

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 03:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What cam is best for me????

Getting ready to purchase a cam for my car, and I will be the first to admitt that I need some help selecting the one that would be best for my setup. It will be paired with some AFR 225 heads, FAST 90mm TB, FAST 90mm intake, SLP cold air kit, Pacesetter LT headers, and SLP LM exhaust. This is all it is going to have for right now, eventually it will be getting a forged lower end with all forged pistons and internals so that I can out a nice shot on it, but that wont be for a while. So I was wondering what the best cam for my setup would be???

THANK FOR THE HELP
Old 10-03-2007, 04:20 PM
TECH Resident

Dang dude, goin' all out on the first run

I'm no cam expert by any means but i see alot of guys running the TV2/TV3 with those heads. I'm sure someone with more experience and know-say will chime in.
Old 10-03-2007, 04:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I take it you dont want to flycut? Tv2 Tv3 sound like good candidates. Something mid 230's, just make sure to check with teh vender to verify itll clear those heads. Around that sive will make good power without having to spin to the moon,and without losing too much torque down low. What cam / drivability characteristics are you looking for?
Old 10-03-2007, 04:54 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
What cam / drivability characteristics are you looking for?

My goal is to creat a strip beast, but keep it to where I can drive it on the street. I understand the streetability is going to be affected and I am not looking for something to take long drives with, but I would like to be able to drive it to the track or to cruises and not have to worry about it

I would like to avoid having to flycut if at all possible
Old 10-03-2007, 04:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my buddy DD a MS3 no problem and it loves the juice too in which he also has along with prc 2.5's
Old 10-03-2007, 05:07 PM
TECH Resident

I take it you are planning on more inches in the not so distant future? That would be the only reason I could see for running those heads. If you are wanting to stay with the stock displacement, even if you go forged in the future, you would be better off with the 205's. I am not 100% sure what size valves come in the 225's but I am thinking they are larger than stock and maybe even larger than 2.02/1.57 if so valve clearance will definately be a problem with any cam that will compliment those heads. In all honesty, with the list of parts you listed, you are going to need to spin the motor fairly high to get the most out of it so you are going to want a large cam (I'm thinking high 230's intake, 240+ exhaust) but with a cam of that caliber you will also need to mill the heads and run a .040 gasket to get your DCR up so that it is not a pig down low. All of this will require you to have to flycut. With a smaller head you could go with a cam that would work better in the midrange (and lower) which would require less milling to keep the DCR in the sweet range as well as providing more piston to valve clearance. I would suggest you read Patrick G sticky about how to make 500 hp, and maybe even some of his other older post. It will at least point out some things you may want to consider. Good Luck.

Last edited by BOWTIE; 10-03-2007 at 05:09 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-03-2007, 05:31 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BOWTIE
I take it you are planning on more inches in the not so distant future? That would be the only reason I could see for running those heads. .
Thats exactly it. Eventually i want to go more inches, and I was hoping there was some way I could go about it an get all the parts I need and do it in stages, but it looks like I either need to re-think my head selection or just wait and do everything at once.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:02 AM
Staging Lane

I got to thinking, would the AFR 205's be a better choice?? Possibly more workable without going with more cubic inches right away???
Old 10-04-2007, 01:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

The AFR 205's are definitely more suited for a 346ci. engine.