Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Builder Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 10:24 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Engine Builder Help!!

man i havent been on here in forever, i dont even own an fbody anymore, im the proud owner of an 86 toyoa MR2.
that is a FUN car.

but alas i cant satisfy my craving for a v8 fbody. i got my new job which is great and i actually ENJOY going to work. Its a weird feeling, one ive never had before.
so now im going to start the project ive been wanting to do for years: build an engine from the ground up.

ive decided on an LS1 block and am completely rebuilding it. im hoping on hitting 500+ hp all motor, and probably putting nitrous on it as well.(PUT SUM NAAAWWZZZ ON DAT!)

im building my first engine over the next few months, this is the combo i have put together. yes it is expensive but this is all going into an ls1 block. and everything is forged.

so tell me

will this work?!??!

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...t=ESP-5700SBLW

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...rt=SCA-435010L

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...rt=WIS-PT003HS

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...art=WRL-025250

i havent decided on a cam yet but i want to make sure that what ive put together so far will work.

Also, im not for sure that im buying everything from summit, im still doing my research.

thank you for the replies. youll be seeing me on here a lot very soon.

- TigerZ
Old 10-06-2007, 10:58 AM
Launching!

First three links are for Gen I parts
Old 10-06-2007, 12:43 PM
Banned

As said above, those are Gen I parts, and secondly - World products heads would not be my choice for a buildup.

My first piece of advice would be to get on Amazon or Ebay and pick up a book on building LSx engines. Read it several times front to back, then look through the sponsors links for their complete matched rotating assemblies. Get a set of heads already built and ready to bolt on. Or go to your local machine shop(one that has experience with performance motors, not just rebuilds) and have them help you pick out the parts that you will need. They can also do the machine work on your block and make sure all your tolerances on the new parts you get are correct.

Where are you located?
How much is your budget for the complete motor?
Do you want 500 at the flywheel or at the wheels?
Old 10-06-2007, 05:48 PM
Teching In

yeah ill stop by borders or somethin this weekend and pick up an ls1 book

so there are different generations of the ls1?
so are you saying i cant use 350 rods and pistons because they werent made for the ls1? i thought that didnt matter. other than i need a crank with a 1 peice seal. correct me if im wrong but arent rods and pistons universal for the 350?

im in southern california
willing to drive to LA or OC.

500 flywheel and im expecting to spend around 5 grand

one more thing, am i headed in the right direction? would those specs work i dont want a piston hit a valve or anything will i?

Last edited by TigerZ; 10-06-2007 at 05:57 PM.
Old 10-06-2007, 06:13 PM
Launching!

Not to sound like an *** here, but I think you really need to read up a bit before you attempt this. Everyone has to start somewhere and I think you might wanna read all of the stickies first. Where in so cal are you, btw?
Old 10-06-2007, 07:26 PM
Banned

Gen I SBC '55-96 ('86+ one-piece rear main seal)
Gen II SBC '94-97 (LT1 reverse cool)
Gen III-IV SBC '97- current (totally new design motor - aluminum block[LS])

Parts interchange for the most part with Gen I & 2 - Not Gen III+

5k is a very small budget for using "good" parts. But if you only want 500 at the flywheel, that's an easy task.

If you want to build that kind of power on the cheap, you can use a stock short block with some good rods, a set of LS6/LS2 heads with some portwork and a good cam will meet your goal.
Old 10-06-2007, 08:32 PM
Teching In

thats an interesting thought. but do you think the stock pistons and crank can handle that? and possible nitrous?
and would the cam be streetable? or lopy as all hell?
Old 10-06-2007, 10:00 PM
Banned

Just saw the nitrous mentioned in the first post...so to be safe you should have some forged pistons in there too, but the stock crank will handle the power no problem. With a good tune and no detonation the stock pistons can handle nitrous with the ring gaps set up right - but it's not worth the risk if you're building from the ground up.

The cam would be totally streetable, but passing smog(if you need to) would be iffy. Thats why here in california we do most of our high hp street engines with blowers, so that smog is not a problem.