Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ARP BOLTS...good idea or not?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 10:54 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ARP BOLTS...good idea or not?

I've got my heads off and I'm considering the ARP head bolts instead of the factory torque to yeild bolts. The only thing that makes me hesitant is the fact that the bottom end was assembled with the OEM bolts using a block with factory stock specs. I was told by an engine builder that if the ARP bolts are used, they put a slightly different twist on the block. He said if the block was originally assembled with ARP bolts using torque plates when it was honed, the ARP bolts won't deform the block. If I pull out my OEM bolts and replace them with ARP bolts, the block will deform or twist in a slightly different way because the ARP bolts will have a slightly different clamping load on the block. Personally, I think you could run either set of bolts. What are your thoughts out there?
Old 10-06-2007, 11:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've never heard of that before.

I think you will be fine with ARP's.
Old 10-06-2007, 11:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

use the ARP. I think that guy has been smoking something.
Old 10-06-2007, 04:19 PM
On The Tree

I've had ARP head studs and bone stock bottom end for 3 years now. No issues (knock on wood!).
Old 10-06-2007, 04:27 PM
TECH Resident

it does warp the block, thats why you install the headbolts a certain way and remove them a certain way...
Old 10-06-2007, 08:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

No, you install a certain way so the head gets an even clamping load on the block. It makes no sense to torque 1 bolt all the way, then the next and the next.
Old 10-07-2007, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by porsche914ls6
I've got my heads off and I'm considering the ARP head bolts instead of the factory torque to yeild bolts. The only thing that makes me hesitant is the fact that the bottom end was assembled with the OEM bolts using a block with factory stock specs. I was told by an engine builder that if the ARP bolts are used, they put a slightly different twist on the block. He said if the block was originally assembled with ARP bolts using torque plates when it was honed, the ARP bolts won't deform the block. If I pull out my OEM bolts and replace them with ARP bolts, the block will deform or twist in a slightly different way because the ARP bolts will have a slightly different clamping load on the block. Personally, I think you could run either set of bolts. What are your thoughts out there?

The guy who told you this is correct. When you torque plate hone a block you need to use the head bolts or studs you will be running.

It doesn't twist the block, the torque of the bolts or studs try to square the cylinder bore. It's why we torque plate hone blocks in the first place. There will be a difference in how round your cylinders are going from a stock fastener to an aftermarket one, period.

I doubt you will blow the motor up because of it, but you will not have as round a bore as you would if you run the bolts the block was torque plate honed with.

The rings will take more time to seal up, which by the ways means more wear on them before they are broken in correctly.

Why are you wanting to run the A.R.P. fasteners now?
Old 10-07-2007, 05:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The engine builder is completely correct in this manner. Your best bet would be to go the the OEM studs but I dont personally feel you will do any engine damage with using the studs.