Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

broke dowel pin off my cam looking for advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 06:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default broke dowel pin off my cam looking for advice

had a comp cams doubble roller chain on my engine i am building, well i wanted to take the cam gear off, but it was stuck, there was no way of working it off the cam, so i grabbed my puller, and a few seconds later, "dink" the sprocket was loose with half of the dowel pin stuck in the gear, half in the cam. I took the cam to a machine shop to have them drill out the half stuck in the cam and install a new pin. He never gave me a price for how much it was going to be around untill a week later when he called me back saying i owe $213!? This is way more than i was willing to spend. Is that price what it should be?
Old 10-06-2007, 07:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The pin is case hardened. Sometimes you can tap them out from the back side of the cam journal with the cam out of the motor. Make sure you get the correct pin for installation. I would say call Comp tech support, but we had a Comp cam that they didn't put the pin in during production and the advice we got on the phone was total BS so I just don't trust them at all. Not sure where they get their tech support guys
Old 10-06-2007, 08:56 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is no way in hell I would pay that.
Old 10-07-2007, 04:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Because the pin is hardened I'm sure it was a royal pain to drill out. I would question if he can ethically charge you that much as you were probably expecting $20-30.

On the bright side, a new cam would have cost you more money.

Re'
Old 10-08-2007, 02:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I called another machine shop asking for a price to drill out a broke off dowel pin, they told me it could be around 30=50 to get the new hole drilled, then plus labor to press a new pin in place. i just dont see the $213!

i called him up today, and asked him why he didnt tell me what it was going to cost before he did the work, he got all pissed off and hung up on me. So i drove over to his shop he showed me the job sheet. It had $87 in parts, and $75x 2 hours in labor then he says he already cut me a deal in that he didnt charge me the full labor making it a total of $213. I asked him why the parts were so expensive, (a pin couldnt cost that much) and he told me i was paying for all the bits he broke drilling out my old cam pin.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He's an idiot. You don't owe him for the bits he broke because he dosen't know what he's doing.

If he's going to be that much of a jerk, I'd probably tell him to keep the cam and buy a new one just to **** him off more.

Re'
Old 10-08-2007, 04:22 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree... I worked in a machine shop years ago and it would cost around $50 in labor and parts to fix that exact problem. If he broke bits, he's a moron, besides, that's not your damn fault. I would NO WAY pay him $213 for that, period.

Quick Reply: broke dowel pin off my cam looking for advice