Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hesitation and Sputtering

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 05:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hesitation and Sputtering

My 01 SS is having osme problems lately. For the longest time ive had a service enfgine light on. it was for the bad cat i had. anyway, about a month ago i threw on a set of pacesetter LTs and ORY. This weekend i was making a trip from NJ to Long island and the car started hesitating from a stop and while cruising with throttle the car seemed to hesitate and then go, hesitate then go.. almost like sputtering. Then the SES light started flashing which im pretty sure means i have a mis-fire. i got to long island and a buddy of mine changed the #2 plug since after his diagnosis says was the bad plug. We then went over to autozone and had the codes checked and cleared. The car is still hesitating but the SES light didnt come back on at all. Now, im no expert but since i dont have rear o2s shouldnt the light have come back on by now?

Anyway thats not my real concern, the real concern is why is it still hesitating? Im thinking i need all new plugs and wires sicne maby more than one plug went bad.

Sorry for the long post but i like to be detailed when explainging a problem

-adam
Old 10-08-2007, 05:59 PM
On The Tree

i had a similar prob... i ran a full tank of 100 octane through it and changed my plugs and so far it went a way.... good luck....
Old 10-08-2007, 06:00 PM
TECH Resident

Mine "sputtered" and bucked quite a bit after my LT install.

Turns out the longtubes burnt through the wiring on my driver side o2 sensor... so i ordered a replacement and wrapped it up in heat wrap. No problems since. Check your wires to make sure everything at least LOOKS ok. My diagnosis was lucky enough to be seen by the naked eye. I hope yours is as easily spotted. Best of luck.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:54 PM
On The Tree

any other ideas? anything else i should check?

im only asking because my gf's birthday is next week so i need the car up and runnin soundly for the big night i have planned for her... lol, im sure u guys understand
Old 10-08-2007, 08:43 PM
Staging Lane

I had a similar problem.
There was moisture inside the weather pac connector coming from the O2 sensor.
I eliminated the connector and soldered it together.
No problems since.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd check all connections and make sure I didn't damage one of the front 02s in the process of putting in the headers.

During my first head swap, I had a front 02 get messed up. Needless to say, even with tuning, the car wouldn't run worth a crap til I replaced it.
Old 10-09-2007, 04:32 PM
On The Tree

ok, so the SES light came back on and i went to autozone to have the codes read. Only 2 codes showed up,
o2 Sensor Bank1 Sensor 2
o2 Sensor Bank2 Sensor 2

Since these are the rears and i do not have them due to the ORY i kno thats not my problem. SO WHAT THE HELL IS!!!!
ITs hesitating and running like complete ****. I did notice today tho that i have a small exhaust leak from one of the clamps on the Header to y-pipe. Can that cause this? I also noticed while outside the car that there is a slight thumping noise pretty often that gpes alpong with the exhaust, is that the exhaust leak. i found the leak by spraying windex on the clamps and this particular one bubbled up pretty good. Guys, i need this fixed. my car is what gets me my work and right now im not haveing any luck at all.
Old 10-09-2007, 04:38 PM
10 Second Club

I doubt its the exhaust leak. I'm fighting a similar problem but I have a whole other set of problems to solve first. Did you make sure the MAF is connected? If it is not, your car will run like ****. I'd definitely check all of your spark plugs too.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:15 PM
On The Tree

TTT

ok guys, im hoping to throw new plugs in tomorrow. If this dosnt fix my problem what do u guys suggest i do next? Also, tonight while sitting at a red light the SES light started blinking but went off as soon as i started moving. didnt do it again the rest of the ride home. any ideas?

-adam
Old 10-11-2007, 10:37 PM
12 Second Club

I find this very interesting as I also have been having a misfire problem, which a new set of plugs and a coil or two fixed. Now when I start the car and drive it up to temp and turn it off sometimes it acts up. I don't get a ses light but it does hesitate and sputter at first as you step on the gas pedal but cleans itself in seconds. I've changed both front O2 sensors have sims in back, plugs twice, wires and two coils.
Old 10-12-2007, 03:16 PM
On The Tree

New wires = Problem solved

THANKS GUYS!!!

p.s... feels damn good to feel all the power again lol

Quick Reply: Hesitation and Sputtering